Will 3G provide better reception--especiall indoors--than EDGE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amysig, Jun 17, 2008.

1. amysig macrumors member

My iPhone struggles to get a signal when I'm deep inside my corporate office. Near the windows, it works OK.

Will the iPhone 3G be any better? I know 3G is typically just for faster speeds but will it also provide better reception? I'd like to be able to access the web from anywhere in my office building, right now with EDGE I can't do that.

TIA.

2. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Depends on if there are closer 3G towers to your building than EDGE.

3G has its own towers I believe...

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

The plastic back might improve reception to even GSM just a tad

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

There are certain spots in my house, if I'm lucky I can get 2-3 bars. I really want to see if there is a difference in reception with the new 3G in my area and in particular my house. Interesting that the 3G coverage map is dark blue down the street from my house, only about 2-3 streets away. :(

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

In my area, when you look at the AT&T coverage map and click '3G', it shows 100% of the area in the same shade of blue. I'm thinking they haven't done a detail "coverage levels" for their 3G network yet.

From what I read on HowardForums.com, 3G is supposed to sound better even if the signal is lower. So where you had 1-2 bars and 2G sounded kind of choppy, 3G is supposed to sound better.

I also read that 3G is just a software upgrade for most towers. It's not like they put up all new towers for 3G coverage. Having said that, they have put up a lot of new towers over the last year. My guess is that each tower has some 2G and 3G antennas. Just a guess though. :)

6. drpellypo macrumors 6502

No, in answer your question. In fact, 3g generally makes your connection worse and I have usually disabled 3g when I didn't need it as GPRS gves you a better coverage/signal strength as oppose to the phone struggling to get the 3g signal.