Will 3GS with new bootrom ever be possible to unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rmspider16, Jun 30, 2010.

1. rmspider16 macrumors newbie

Looking for opinions here.

I have T-mobile for the next year at least. Got a really good condition iphone 3gs with new bootrom and ios4. So...I can't use it at the moment cause its not unlockable. What are the chances an unlocking process will be developed in the next month or two? Did Apple put a stop to unlocking with the latest setup for good? My options are just re-sell this one and try to get a decent shape 3g that is unlockable or wait and hope an unlock process becomes available. I really would like to keep this thing, its like brand new condition. Anyway, Look forward to hearing the opinions.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

even though there are a ton of these threads with everybody who thinks if they ask in there special way. they will get a better answer! well here it is

they are working on it!
    it will be out hopefully very soon!
    it might be right now it might be never nobody really knows at least not on MR!

if you are stilll up to 3.1.3 you should be able to unlock if upgraded to 4.0 you have to wait. glad I could help!

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah dude, just wait it out. Get yourself a dumb fone in the mean while.

4. rmspider16 thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand the question gets asked very often and I am obviously not looking for some special unlock method....trust me i have googled for one. I have just not been around the iphone world at all, so i am not sure how quickly these apple software's are usually "cracked".

My question is basically, is this latest update (ios4) on new bootrom appear to be robust enough that it will be unlikely anyone will be able to jailbreak/unlock it? Thanks

5. profets macrumors 68040

I guess what you (and many of us) are waiting for is a jailbreak for iOS4 on the 3GS w/ new bootloader. The unlock is available, just that we need to jailbreak to get it installed.

6. rmspider16 thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly. Just wanted to get a sentiment on how likely this is to happen or if apple has finally won the battle and made this task impossible so i should definitely sell this thing and get an unlockable/jailbreakable 3g.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

8. rmspider16 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. That would be possible too. 3g or 3gs (old boot). Point would be i have to get rid of the one i have, which is in excellent shape so that would be disappointing. I wouldn't mind wait a month or two, just don't know if it is worth waiting 5 or 6 months just for the sake of not selling this one. Thanks for everyones input.

9. ToddFSU macrumors member

ToddFSU

Willing to wait a month or two? You'll be fine.

iOS4 officially came out just over a week ago, and they've already been able to jailbreak certain setups. I would guess 1-2 more weeks and it will be done on a 3GS with NEW boot ROM.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

So far the Devs have been able to out smart Apple every time. I appears one will be out soon but nobody really knows for sure. when! there is allot of JB news out there but nothing we can get our hands on! so all we can say again is wait!