Will 3rd party keyboards be more stable in IOS9?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by shenfrey, Jul 9, 2015.

1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

I am not sure if Apple purposely gimped 3rd party keyboards so that they will be buggy, but as of right now it just isn't worth anyones time. Its hit and miss when they do work, when they work its great but more often than not you will open up your app, Safari or Messages for example, and the keyboard just won't pop up until you exit the app, this is just one example.

Will things be more stable in IOS9 or is the implantation of them as we know it going to be the status quo?

Thanks

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I would love to know the same thing, but I think its too early to tell. I love using swiftkey but it is really buggy.

3. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

4. Stickharuhi macrumors regular

Yes with iOS 8 and iOS 9 beta so buggy in games.

5. mattyu007 macrumors member

mattyu007

Third-party keyboards are still pretty hit-and-miss for me on iOS 9 beta 4. Within apps, the keyboard shows up properly maybe 2/3 of the time.

I don't even bother with Spotlight search anymore because the keyboard almost never shows up for it, and when it does, I have to wait roughly 5 or so seconds before I can interact with the keyboard.

6. tosbsas macrumors 6502

tosbsas

8.4 was better, beta 3 was ugly, beta 4 is better but not 8.4

7. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Still buggy. Sometimes any app would not be able to call keyboard in app. This is not limited to spotlight search.

And, iOS 9 seems remember individual keyboard choice in each app, including spotlight search, rather remembering keyboard choice globally.

8. numberfour macrumors regular

numberfour

I got 8.4 on my i6 and 9 Beta 4 on my i5, and swiftkey shows up much faster on the i5. The stability on the other hand is a different topic. But I am pleased to see that the speed is improved and then the stability is hopefully something that will come later on as we get closer to public release.