Will 4.0 come with mobile hotspot?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by clborden, May 13, 2010.

1. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

With Verizon offering mobile hotspot on the Palm PrePlus & I believe Google is including it on their next OS update (2.2) & Sprint including it on the EVO 4G, I'm wondering if Apple & AT&T would keep up by offering it on the new iPhone.

The one reason I'd probably say no is the iPad 3G. Just wondering what you guys thought.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. corriewf macrumors 6502a

It probably will but not for the US. 3.0 came with MMS but was not activated until ATT threw the switch.

4. bludodge macrumors 6502

Yeah I would be pissed seeing as I plan to upgrade my iPhone 3G ASAP once the next one hits, and just bought a $900 3G iPad.....

5. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

It's a simple decision for me.... No Hotspot and my next phone will be an EVO.
    Even with the $30.- Sprint charges I will still pay about what I pay now to AT&T.

6. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I'm in the same boat. no hotspot no iphone. Now that i have my iPad i don't feel required to have an iphone for apps. in fact since i got the ipad i have only used my iphone for MyWi and phone calls, so I really don't care if it is an iphone or another phone. Soooo hotspot iphone or Evo for me

7. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Uhhhhm why not just jailbreak and install mywi? pretty easy process, and you still get to use an iPhone. Not like jailbreaking voids anything, can always revert back to stock. Kind of silly to get a whole new phone when all you have to do is run a 1min program, jailbreak, and be done with it......ehhh, maybe you guys just dont want the iphone anyway and just sprinkling some hate around...

8. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

maybe you just don't know how to read, cause the quote that you used that quoted me has MyWi in it.....I do use MyWi, but why should i have to chase every jailbreak with every update just so that i can keep a service that i use the heck out of. If i use that service more than anything else on a phone i want it native. I love my apple products, but i also like features that i want without work-arounds.

9. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

This what I'm doing right now, but frankly I am getting a little tired of being treated like a child.... You can't do this, You can't do that. We where promised Tethering over a year ago and nobody even brings it up anymore.

Why should one have to go through all this stuff just to get the service one is willing to pay for?

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm beginning to realize this is much less Apple and much more AT&T. Now I have defended AT&T for the onslaught of traffic the iPhone has bought and how nobody would've handled it very well. But it's been three years now, so it's time to stop with that excuse. My signal strength at home has gotten worse in the past couple of months, and I know it's not from the node being overwhelmed. I live in a semi-rural area.

AT&T is the one not living up to tethering because other carriers overseas have had it for about a year. I think Apple is just playing nice with a business partner and will soon ditch the single-carrier deal. I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't really AT&T, it's SBC with a bought AT&T brand name. I'm personally sick of all the carriers who charge data plan users extra money for text messages considering the sheer simplicity of them. I also don't appreciate the requirement of $20+ plans for any decent phone because that keeps my parents from getting anything better than some flip phone.

I'm ready to play the field whenever I can. That's why it will be a while before I upgrade my device or my parents since they're on my line. Freedom to choose will be awesome.

11. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

I have invested in a lot of apps for the iphone and wont leave just for that service. Mywi is cool, but not needed for me. I got a great speed at home and 3g is not bad in Atlanta. My work has a great wireless internet, too. I am good.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I highly doubt that.
    If AT&T cant handle to offer paid official tethering on the iphone just like they do in many other smartphones you can bet they will not give it away for free with 4.0.

I agree.
    Some people think Jailbreaking is such a bad thing. If you can follow a few step by step directions you can JB your iphone in minutes.
    Instead of cancelling your service, switching to a new provider and getting a new cellphone.
    But to each his own I guess.

13. rkswat macrumors regular

Lots and lots of "if new iPhone doesn't have this I'm doing that" threads lately. What's the point? Why come onto a forum and belly ache about how you're going to take your toys and go home if apple doesn't give you what you want in a phone, or at&t in a provider. Just do it and be done with it. Now I know people are just looking for others that will jump on the wagon with them and threaten to go.... just do it ffs and move on already. Most of us have an iPhone, we know what it can and can't do. We all bought that phone from apple, we all know what they will and won't offer for the most part. We all use at&t if we want the iPhone to perform 100%, no surprise what at&t will and won't give you.

You knew what you where buying when you bought it and now you whine about that choice. As far as being treated like a child..... you pick something you want and then whine about it when it doesn't do the things you want (even though you knew that when you bought it).... sounds like you're being treated appropriately for your actions to me.

14. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

The only one whining is You :D I just answered a question....

15. jbro1999 macrumors regular

I'm not complaining. I have a jailbroking iphone that cost me 85 bucks a month. I use it as a hot spot to my PC and use that as my internet. One low Bill for cell phone and internet.