Will 4.2 support iPhone to Airport Express music streaming?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by powpow, Sep 3, 2010.

1. powpow macrumors member

I've been wanting this feature for a while now.

Thanks.

2. shandyman Suspended

could be part of the airplay feature, no-one will know until the beta comes out at the earliest.

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Yes. It’s been confirmed for 4.2 and the iPad. However, it hasn’t been confirmed for the iPhone (although one would assume it would transfer over).

AirPlay

"Wirelessly stream videos, music, and photos from iPad to the new Apple TV, and stream music to AirPlay speakers or receivers, including AirPort Express."

http://www.apple.com/ipad/software-update/

They’ll probably need to update the AirPort Express firmware though.

4. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

I am not sure if you will need to update the firmware. They might just for some compatibility reasons, but AirPlay could have two modes: A compatibility mode which is backwards compatible with old AirTunes devices like the APE and old Apple TV, and a new "AirPlay" mode which supports all the new stuff like streaming video and photos.

The compatibility mode could just act like iTunes does, it sees the devices on the network and streams to them using the old protocol.

5. powpow thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to bump this now that 4.2 is out.

Can anyone confirm if you can stream from iPhone 4 to Airport Express now?

Thanks.

6. Vidiot62 macrumors newbie

Yes, works for me on my 3GS... But can't use AirPrint to print to a printer connected to an airport :(

7. Sean006 macrumors 6502

how does this work ?
    does it just read the airport express by itself ?
    or is it another app ?

8. Vidiot62 macrumors newbie

No other app needed. The iPod app (or any other app that plays audio - youtube, wunderradio, pandora, etc.) will find all airplay devices on your network. Being able to stream youtube audio to an express is a nice touch.

9. powpow thread starter macrumors member

Sweet! I didn't realize it would work outside of the iPod app.

Pandora etc. is just icing on the cake.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You can stream any system audio (except notifications it seems). I played Minigore, AngryBirds and Flight Control with it streaming to my AX. Games have a 2 second audio lag because of the buffer but it works. Video's sync perfectly though.

There is an AirPlay icon in the media player. Tap that and a list of devices pops up just like it does in iTunes when using AirPlay. For system control, double click the home button to bring up the multitasking bar and swipe to the right and then once more to show the system volume control and airplay icon.

11. jas1973 macrumors 6502

Your mms and email notifications will play over airplay while you are streaming audio to your airplay device. If your phone rings the sound will shut down and your phone will ring on your iPhone.

12. ogdogg macrumors 6502

It works great for me. It also works on my Apple TV. I'm able to display the movies on my phone, slideshows of my pictures, but no videos that I've taken with the phone. I'm assuming that will change with the next update. I'm also assuming that we'll soon be able to display Safari on an Apple TV via AirTunes as well as games... I don't see why you couldn't develop a game for the iPhone using the phone as a controller and the Apple TV as the screen, right now...

I'm especially excited because I've had 4.2.1 on my phone for a week or so now, but the Apple TV 4.1 update today finally unlocked video over AirTunes. That is the more exciting update for today.

13. jas1973 macrumors 6502

When you are done streaming audio to your airplay device you have to remember to switch it back to your iPhone or you will miss any notifications if you have shut off the audio device you were streaming to. I find this annoying.

When you leave your network it will auto default back to your iPhone. But if still on your network your notifications will get streamed to your airplay device which you may have shut off.

14. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

So can I push Audio only through AirPlay to an original Apple TV or do I still have to use the Remote app and simply control it? I know I can do it with an Airport Express or Extreme or new Apple TV and that the old Apple TV doesn't support AirPlay for video, but I wasn't sure if it did for audio.