Will 4.3 and/or iPad 2 Upscale Retina Display Apps?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BergerFan, Mar 5, 2011.

1. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I can understand why Apple chose not to enable it on the iPad up to now - possibly because there had to be enough incentive for native iPad apps to flourish.
    Now that there are over 65,000 iPad apps in the Store, surely it's about time that Retina Display-optimised(HD, if you will) iPhone apps, shouldn't be run in SD on an iPad?

2. Braindead360 macrumors member

If they don't, you can always Jailbreak. I use an app called retinaPad and it's absolutely awesome!

3. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Replace the word "always" with "eventually" and you are correct.

It is pretty annoying that Apple hasn't already done this though. I guess they are waiting for iOS 5 or something like that.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ I think it's more of a case that they like the idea of a user having to buy an app twice. That's another 30% commission.

5. BergerFan thread starter macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Yeah I did. that's what prompted me to post this thread.
    iPad2-specific games, would set themselves apart, with the extra CPU and graphical power under the hood, and regular iPad2 apps would set themselves apart, with the increased screen real estate.

6. BergerFan thread starter macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I mean, really?
    NBA Jam on my iPad and the same app on my iPhone 4.

Attached Files:

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

8. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think the want to encourage developers to write iPad specific app. If they just upscale, iOS becomes a lot like Android which is good to avoid.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well developers do have the ability to go 'universal' however as I say it seems obvious a lot of developers like the idea of charging more for an iPad version.

If their existing game/app upscaled via retina on the iPad, it would act as a disentive to buy the iPad specific version and both the dev and Apple lose potential extra €£$...

I personally think it's all about the $ and not to stop fragmentation of the marketplace. Surely two versions of the same App at different prices is already a 'fragmentation'...

10. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can't be the money, sure Apple makes money from the App Store but it's not a huge % of their revenue. Two versions now isn't fragmented since it's two different stores.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Did they not just post that they had paid $2 billion to developers ? 30% of that revenue is $600 million - that's a whole lot of money even for Apple.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

Math check: $2 billion payout to developers is 70% of app store revenue, so that makes total revenue just shy of $2.86 billion. Thus Apple's cut would be about $860MM. That ignores any app store sales of Apples own software, which I imagine would increase the Apple portion of the payout. I have no idea how much that would be, my guess is a small enough fraction to be lost in rounding errors. :)

Also that's for the life of the App store if I remember the keynote, not just 2010.

It would be nice if the enabled native retina resolution on the ipad; but I won't hold my breath. :)

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep I wasn't sure if the quoted was before or after Apples cut :) 600/860 million.. Either way it's a lot of money :)

14. fishmoose macrumors 68000

A lot of money for you and me? Yes. For Apple? No. Too little to gain in money to base the decision of upscaling apps on. Its about the user experience that's why they don't do it.

15. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

i hope they'll do it in the future it's annoying to press the 1X button and get at fuzzy picture

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's the chewbacca defense there.

Surely a 'user experience' is better and would be so when & if a retina display app worked at retina resolution on the iPad rather than lower res.