Will 4th gen. AEB slow network if extending 6th gen

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by netnothing, Oct 4, 2014.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I just got the latest 6th gen Airport Extreme base station to replace my older 4th gen. I set it up via Airport Utility with all the same settings.

The 6th gen is in the computer room on the 1st floor corner of the house. I do have ethernet running up to the bedroom (2nd floor other corner or house).

I was thinking on adding the old 4th gen upstair and extending the network via ethernet. My question is, will adding the 4th gen to the network slow the entire network down? For example, if we are in the computer room with an iPhone 6 that can do "ac", will it still be able to with the 4th gen on the network?

-Kevin

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

When connected to the 4th generation it will only perform at wireless N speeds, however when connected to the 6th generation model it will connect at AC speeds. Do you really need to add the 4th generation? It is a good idea with it connecting via Ethernet. If necessary, you can adjust the transmit power of the 4th gen. to handle roaming better in AirPort Utility 5.6.1.

3. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Thanks for the info. I was more concerned with just having the 4th gen on the network whether it would slow connections even on the 6th gen.....but good to know that it won't.

I'm still not sure I'm going to do it. I do notice the 6th gen does have better/longer coverage than the 4th gen did, so I might just keep it alone.

-Kevin

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you need the coverage and you connect via Ethernet you are golden.

5. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Thanks for the help. Did some testing and saw that the 4th gen is really a dog.....I was getting better performance, even farther away just using the 6th gen than having the 4th gen in the same room.

-Kevin

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The ironic part is that they greatly improved the 4th gen. with the 5th gen. I loved the 5th gen. and the new 6th gen.