Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
Or 6.1.4 for that matter.

I know that these two iOS versions are 'impossible to jailbreak'. But I've also heard that certain developers have found exploits, but are saving them for iOS 7, because they don't want to reveal their hands to Apple at a too early stage. Correct?

Now, my reasoning is this: once iOS 7 is jailbroken, those exploits will be public knowledge, and it would make no difference if those exploits were ported back to iOS 6. Alternatively, some of those exploits might be found not to work on 7, in which case it would do no harm to give them back to 6.

In either of the above cases, when can we expect a jailbreak to happen? I ask this because I don't want iOS 7 on my iPhone 4S, for reasons that will not be discussed here. But I'm sure there are a lot of other users in the same boat, who would choose to hold out on the final releases of iOS 6, and still want to jailbreak.

Lastly, there are some people who claim to have jailbroken iOS 6.1.3 already, like these guys. Should we trust them? And if not, why not?

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Unlikely.
You answerd your own question : iOS 6.1.3/4 are not "impossible" to jailbreak, they just don't want to use an exploit because iOS 7 is just around the corner.
And after iOS 7 is jailbroken, I don't think they will waste time with iOS 6 exploits.

----------

Lastly, there are some people who claim to have jailbroken iOS 6.1.3 already, like these guys. Should we trust them? And if not, why not?

Nope.

EDIT : your signature says that you are from the future, so why don't you know if iOS 6.1.3/4 is going to be jailbroken ? :D

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
Unlikely.
You answerd your own question : iOS 6.1.3/4 are not "impossible" to jailbreak, they just don't want to use an exploit because iOS 7 is just around the corner.
And after iOS 7 is jailbroken, I don't think they will waste time with iOS 6 exploits.

In what world is that 'unlikely'? Once those exploits are used on 7, they can again be used to jailbreak 6... right?

poplars

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2013
I'd say that's a serious possibility. I highly doubt everyone is unanimously in favor of the changes in ios 7. Would the hacks be completely different to the point that its not worth hacking both? I don't know...but I think this time it will be worth it for the devs to hack both of them.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
In what world is that 'unlikely'? Once those exploits are used on 7, they can again be used to jailbreak 6... right?

As mentioned, hackers would have no reason to waste their time working on what will then be an outdated OS that won't run on the latest devices.

If people end up being against iOS 7, the hackers will then be busy developing ways to make iOS 7 look/ feel more like 6 or trying to find a way to install an older version of 6 onto the new devices.

Either way, it's incredibly unlikely that they'll ever touch iOS 6.1.3/4.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
EDIT : your signature says that you are from the future, so why don't you know if iOS 6.1.3/4 is going to be jailbroken ? :D

The future is not set in stone like some time travel movies would have you believe. Every decision we make, from the products we buy to the conversations we have, affects the future in unpredictable ways.

In my timeline, there never was an iOS 6.1.3. The 6.1.x branch finished at 6.1.2, and the exploits went unpatched until 7.0.1. We did have an iOS 6.2.0 and 6.2.1, which were easily jailbreakable, but that future will never happen now.

And with every decision, the timelines diverge further and further. We could end up living in a very different world from my original timeline.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.