Will 8800 Ultra Work in Mac Pro (2008)?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tyrnight, Jan 22, 2008.

1. tyrnight macrumors member

Dec 3, 2007
    I am holding off purchasing a 2008 Mac Pro to find out if my current 8800 Ultra Video Card will work in the new Mac Pro's.

does any one have a compatible video card guide?

I am trying to purchase my BTO with minimal specs so I may upgrade it with current parts I have...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
  3. tyrnight thread starter macrumors member

Dec 3, 2007
    Ha-ha.. I could give to s*its about windows.. ;)

Seriously.. Thank you though, I couldn't find anything on ultra directly in the forums.

hmm.. but will it work in OSX 10.5? Probably not..

also, what about power implications
  4. noi375 macrumors member

Nov 2, 2007
    It probably won't. Currently, EFIs are only available for 8800GT and the Quadro 5600 (or whatever model number it was) - anything else probably won't work correctly (unless you have a hacked version of OSX 10.5 somewhere) (old cards won't work - EFI is different). Also, unless you happen to have those PCI-E connectors that work in Mac Pros, you probably won't get enough power to them in your new Mac Pro (unless you have those SATA power connectors to PCI-E power connectors), or your old Mac Pro has those connectors you can re-use. Of course, the stock ATI card works too... As for the power supply itself, that thing is 1k watts, so it should be enough for any single video card for a while.