Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanxslabaugh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I have over 4,500 songs on my iTunes and I only have about 500 on my 1st Gen Nano which takes up about all of the space.
I am just worried that with the new App Store that I will run out of memory very quickly with contacts and Apps.

Do you think 8GB will be enough for me?

applemax

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2005
I have over 4,500 songs on my iTunes and I only have about 500 on my 1st Gen Nano which takes up about all of the space.
I am just worried that with the new App Store that I will run out of memory very quickly with contacts and Apps.

I am in a similar situation. I have 50GB of stuff on my iPod. Go for the largest you can afford - if you can afford the 16GB, go for it, as it will be safer in the long run. Contacts shouldn't take up that much space, but they might, I don't know. Apps might though. It's your decision. I'm probably going just to create a smart playlist and just like I do with the iPod shuffle, just randomise my music everytime I sync, with certain albums I know I want, always syncing. But, remember, it's a phone. You won't find a 16GB phone anywhere else! :) Even 8GB is far beyond most phones!

Loonytik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008

No, it will not be enough for you. Even the 16GB wont be "enough" for you. I am in a similiar boat, I have too much music and expect I will have too many apps for 16GB to hold. Dont even start telling me to set up playlists etc. and I wont have any problems. I dont want to spend time setting up playlists to "fit" on my phone. I want to plug the iphone in, sync everything that I have set up in itunes and be done with it. Period.

I will probably buy the 16gb, but as soon as the 32gb comes out I will get it.

brisweeney

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
Dublin,Ireland
quick question to hijack the thread, but related!!!

will the 8gig storage be for music/vids/pics AND your emails/sms/contacts?

is the disk partitioned or if you have loads of emails say,you wont be able to store much music?

i wont be using my iPhone for music, i have an 80gig iPod for that! its a phone and web browser/email machine for me!

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008

Your question can only really be answered by your bank account. If you can afford $300 why would you buy the 8gb.

Lexoticstylez02

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Just get the 16GB and have the piece of mind you'll have enough space. You can never have too much space but you can have too little.

trevreyno

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
8GB has been fine for me. Its all about playlists...

2nd that-and from what already has been said average app will be less than 10 mb.

looks like 16gb are going to be difficult to get hold of at launch anyway with many o2 stores claiming to have only 8gb for the first couple of weeks.

ryanxslabaugh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I think I will go with the 8GB model since that is all that I can afford at this time and point and I can always buy an 80 GB iPod Classic when I have the money and I am also in desperate need of a new phone and I don't think that I could wait for another month.

If I had the money for the 16GB model than I would so go for it but my mom made me pay for yearly trip to Florida to visit my friends and I had a choice between 16GB model or visiting friends that I haven't seen in a year.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
I think I will go with the 8GB model since that is all that I can afford at this time and point and I can always buy an 80 GB iPod Classic when I have the money and I am also in desperate need of a new phone and I don't think that I could wait for another month.

If I had the money for the 16GB model than I would so go for it but my mom made me pay for yearly trip to Florida to visit my friends and I had a choice between 16GB model or visiting friends that I haven't seen in a year.

Good for you. I had the 8g ipod touch, wasnt enough but at the time I wasnt willing to spend $400 on an ipod, plus I was using it to tide me over till 3g. All I did was swap out my albums. I dedicated 2g for video, which was enough for 3 HQ movies or 100 you tube clips(this wont affect you since its the iphone). Where you may suffer is the app store. Honestly over the last 6 months I was saving for this iphone, I was willing to pay as high as $500 for the 16 gig.

jklps

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2007
No, it will not be enough for you. Even the 16GB wont be "enough" for you. I am in a similiar boat, I have too much music and expect I will have too many apps for 16GB to hold. Dont even start telling me to set up playlists etc. and I wont have any problems. I dont want to spend time setting up playlists to "fit" on my phone. I want to plug the iphone in, sync everything that I have set up in itunes and be done with it. Period.

I will probably buy the 16gb, but as soon as the 32gb comes out I will get it.

I hope the iPhone 120gb comes out soon then :(

For now I'm gonna get a 16GB iPhone 3G and stop carrying my iPod Classic 160GB to work...

ryanxslabaugh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I think I will be fine though.
I'll use 4GB (or less) for music than the rest can be for Apps.
I can't see the Apps taking up that much space.

Does anyone know if we can switch Apps on our computer?

Say I ran out of space and I am sick of playing this one game, will i be able to delete it off my iPhone and store it in my iTunes library and place another App on my iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.