iPad Pro Will 9.7 iPad Pro backup work on 12.9 model?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by spesifikbrush, Feb 5, 2017.

1. spesifikbrush macrumors regular

spesifikbrush

Hello, I am going to trade my 9.7 with a 12.9 model. I want to backup my current iPad and apply it to the new one. Can I do it?

2. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Yes. All iPad backups should work, provided that you have enough free space.

3. spesifikbrush thread starter macrumors regular

spesifikbrush

Both are 32gb models. Thanks :)

4. millydog macrumors regular

millydog

Yes, you can do that....but I will add one potential obstacle which can be overcome. You can only restore your backup to a new device that has the same version of iOS or later.
    So if you have iOS 10.2.1 installed on your 9.7 and back it up, you can only restore that backup to the 12.9 if it is also running iOS 10.2.1.
    Now, sometimes you get a new device that is running an older version of iOS. So, if it comes with an older version installed (and there is no way to tell until you either attempt the restore or set it up as new)....then you need to update it before you put your backup on. I have done this before by first checking if it accepts the backup....then finding it doesn't, so I set it up as a new device under my Apple ID, then update iOS, then Settings, General, Reset, Erase all content and settings, then start again and you will be able to restore your backup because the iOS version is now the same or later.

5. spesifikbrush thread starter macrumors regular

spesifikbrush

Thanks for the information. I have 10.2.1, and the iPad I'll get has it too. I hope it'll set everything as it was on my 9.7

6. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

When attempting to restore a backup with a newer version of iOS onto a device with an older version of iOS, I find that it now prompts you to update the OS before proceeding with the restore. I'm not sure when this feature was introduced, but it's no longer necessary to setup the device as new and then update it.

7. millydog macrumors regular

millydog

That's great, that's how it should work. Although, I am yet to experience it. My latest case was just recently when Apple sent a replacement iPhone 6s to my husband. I'm not sure of the exact versions now, but they were both certainly iOS 10.x.