Will a 2009 MBP connect to the Thunderbolt Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stevearm, Nov 9, 2011.

1. stevearm, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

stevearm macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hi all, I'm getting so much conflicting information about this I thought I'd ask the experts on here!

I've got a unibody 2009 13" MBP and would like to know if I should buy the Thunderbolt display or the older '27" Cinema Display'. It seems they're identical apart from Thunderbolt but my question is will I be able to connect the TB one to a non-TB MBP? I think I read they were the same I/O port?

They still sell the older Cinema Display online so I've no problem buying it but obviously may as well go for newer tech for when I do get a new MBP, assuming it'll work with my current one.

Many thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html

3. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

A better answer is simply "no". The Thunderbolt Display needs a computer with a Thunderbolt port on it, or no workee.

This very question has already been answered in a number of different threads by the way.

4. simsaladimbamba

The simple answer is "no", the better answer is to show the asker the factual information and link to it, even if it has been asked numerous times, but there are dozens of topics being asked numerous times, sometimes more than twice per day.
    Some people just don't know where to look, or even how, as the www is just a tool like many others, but as many don't know how to operate a saw correctly, some just don't know how to navigate or use the www, the most prominent part of the internet.

5. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the information, I thought maybe there was a 3rd party mini-DV to thunderbolt adapter that may have been released that let it work or something.

I'll order the older Cinema Display then. I read reviews on the online store that spoke of it being hugely reflective, can't say I noticed it on the Thunderbolt models in store. Fingers crossed :)

One last question... I'm 2.26Ghz 13" MBP with 4 GB of RAM. Would anyone suggest I upgrade to 8GB of RAM? I just assumed with the upscaled resolution of the 27" display, it may need more memory?

6. simsaladimbamba

As the 2009 13" MBP only uses a 9400M integrated graphics processor (IGP) with 256MB shared RAM (taken from the 4GB you have installed), you will not get more video RAM with more RAM, but depending on what you do with your computer, more RAM might benefit your computational needs, and 8GB RAM currently costs less than 50 USD.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and look at the System Memory tab at the bottom. If your Page Outs are significant during normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. Be aware that Page Outs are cumulative since your last restart, so restart your Mac and track Page Outs under normal workload.

8. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info, the most memory-intensive programs I run will be Lightroom and Photoshop and even then, not to that high levels.

Both programs run perfectly fine on my MBP, I'm happy with the performance, but my question is, when upscaled to the 2560x1440 res display, will that impact the speed at which programs run? Or will I get the same performance on the 27" display as I do on the MBP?

9. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

The Cinema Display is really no older than the Thunderbolt Display since both units use the same display hardware. The LCD panel that is the basis of both units hasn't been updated since last year, so the picture quality is basically the same between both displays. You're not really missing anything by buying the ACD, except for the Thunderbolt-driven I/O ports.

It's actually enormously reflective. :p Most of your background will reflect in darker areas of your screen, although this is rarely an issue except for when watching movies. While using my Thunderbolt Display regularly it's quite rare that I get bothered by reflections, even while gaming. Movie-watching though requires me to turn lights off in the background or I start getting irritated by the reflected scenery...

I personally find OSX to be quite the RAM hog. Much worse than Windows 7 actually. I don't do anything particularly advanced on my Macbook, but I had to upgrade RAM or the system started crawling after a while, especially when loading up a game.

Even at the ACD's native resolution the framebuffer needs only about 25MB or so AFAIK. You won't run out just by upgrading your display! :)

10. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fantastic, thanks so much for the reply.

Glad to hear the hardware is basically the same just with different ports. I'll pick up 8GB of RAM.

Earlier the ACD had an 'In Stock' notice, then later it changed to '3 to 5 business days', now it's back to 'In Stock'. I hope they're not running out