Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When do you expect an iMac redesign?

• 4rd quarter 2019

Votes: 34 4.1%
  • 1st quarter 2020

Votes: 23 2.8%
  • 2nd quarter 2020

Votes: 119 14.5%
  • 3rd quarter 2020

Votes: 131 15.9%
  • 4rd quarter 2020

Votes: 172 20.9%
  • 2021 or later

Votes: 343 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

askunk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
London
435 pages later... I have switched to a hackintosh and am very happy about it. I will go back to Apple Macs as soon as Apple comes out with a decent MacPro at human prices or an iMP with a powerful GPU.
The M series is very promising but so far even the MBPs are well below the graphic power I need.
Luckily, my hackintosh will hold the comparison for at least another couple of years, in time for a good Mac.

Reactions: AAPLGeek

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I just want a normal new 27' iMac, not a $5k+ pro model and the 24' isn't an option. I begin to regret to not bought the 2020 model last year because now its also too late and won't pay full price for a year and a half old tech.

I'm not in a good situation right now. My late 2015 5k iMac will probably lose macOS update next year and it begin to show this age, but according to rumours/leaks the only new 27' iMac model coming is a pro one. I also don't want an Mac Mini. I love the all-in one iMac design.

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2020
I just want a normal new 27' iMac, not a $5k+ pro model and the 24' isn't an option. I begin to regret to not bought the 2020 model last year because now its also too late and won't pay full price for a year and a half old tech.

I'm not in a good situation right now. My late 2015 5k iMac will probably lose macOS update next year and it begin to show this age, but according to rumours/leaks the only new 27' iMac model coming is a pro one.
I think there is some confusion about the "Pro" label possibly being used for the upcoming 27-inch iMac. Assuming that Apple uses that nomenclature, I think it's more likely to be applied for marketing purposes, and won't reflect the same pricing of the 2017 model that used Xeons. It's similar to how the MacBook Pro starts at $1,300, even though it has the "Pro" label. Apple never updated the Intel iMac Pro for a reason, and I doubt they will repeat that with the high-end iMacs.

It's all speculation right now, but the 27-inch Apple Silicon model will probably be close in price to the previous Intel 27-inch, adjusted for inflation and the technology used, such as ProMotion and mini-LED. So, that's probably closer to $2,000-2,500 as a starting price. If Apple does make an option available for something like an "M1 Max Duo", then that will increase the price significantly, but it won't be the base price. Sure, that's still expensive, but not much different from the previous Intel models.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I tend to agree with @Colstan, I really don't believe that Apple is going to wall-off the larger iMac to be a "Pro" machine with a "Pro" price. They may well brand it "iMac Pro" for product line consistency, but I think you'll have some kind of option $2,499 or lower for base.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Yeah with the claims it will use the same 27" 5K panel (just with a MiniLED backlight) and M1 PRO and M1 MAX makes me believe we're looking at a $2499 starting price price, not a $4499 starting price.

Reactions: blairh

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
yep, the 'PRO' label will be just that. The fact that the BTO options will make it a beast will satisfy both camps.
Its like the MBP now. You can get decent entry or you get a small beast. The same will be for the iMac Pro.
Its not connected to the old iMac Pro so do not worry about being outpriced.
27" is probably way more popular for people anyway so I doubt Apple would want to price out certain customers.
It just wouldn't make sense.
Also, the old iMac Pro was very specific and for very special case situation. That is no longer valid as the Mac Pro is here etc. so the variables are different.

Reactions: svish and iPadified

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Apple should definitely have a price span that includes most people wishes because the 27 inch was probably much more popular than the 21.5 inch. However, the 24 inch probably have taken some sales from a putative entry 27 inch. mini-LED, 128 Gb RAM, 8 Tb SSD and a Jade 2C (probably not a Jade 4C) will likely satisfy many if not most people. Make a redesigned Air in many colours and rebrand it "MacBook" and the lineup begins to be really symmetric.

Curious: when I hang on Macrumours, I always think that I have an intel iMac from 2020 and how "old" it is. When working, the least thing I am thinking of is the CPU/GPU. It just does its job and it does it well.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Apple should definitely have a price span that includes most people wishes because the 27 inch was probably much more popular than the 21.5 inch. However, the 24 inch probably have taken some sales from a putative entry 27 inch. mini-LED, 128 Gb RAM, 8 Tb SSD and a Jade 2C (probably not a Jade 4C) will likely satisfy many if not most people. Make a redesigned Air in many colours and rebrand it "MacBook" and the lineup begins to be really symmetric.

Curious: when I hang on Macrumours, I always think that I have an intel iMac from 2020 and how "old" it is. When working, the least thing I am thinking of is the CPU/GPU. It just does its job and it does it well.
The 2020 iMac isn't old at all, but it is old in term of a new purchase. I'd probably strongly consider one if I have a good discount on it, but paying full price for tech released more than a year a go is definitively not an option.

Anyway, thanks for all your great response guys. You're probably right, the "Pro" name will probably just for marketing and we'll have difference configuration/price entry options.

Voyageur

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2019
Moscow, Russia
Guys, I suddenly needed an iMac with a Bootcamp, so I have to go to 27" 2020:oops:

One question: what are the chances that a new Intel iMac with a new Core and a new Radeon can be released in near future?

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
Guys, I suddenly needed an iMac with a Bootcamp, so I have to go to 27" 2020:oops:

One question: what are the chances that a new Intel iMac with a new Core and a new Radeon can be released in near future?
Agree with others: pretty close to zero chance of what you want happening. Why would Apple do that? They’re on a solid path to their own processors and away from Intel. They have experience now with at least three versions of their own chip and a year’s experience with the 24” iMac in the hands of customers, and it has been successful by any measure. A good next step is to incorporate those internal chips in their flagship iMac. I see no value to Apple, or even to its customer base, to deliver another Intel anything. For an edge case like yours, there is the existing 2020 iMac with Intel as you’ve stated. Beyond that…extremely doubtful.

Reactions: Voyageur

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018

No chance at all. There is rumor of a refreshed Intel Mac Pro with the latest Xeon processors but there is no guarantee we will see that. I hope we do though. Not because I would buy one but it would extend MacOS Intel support for several more years.

upthetoffees

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Always been a pc guy that had a mac for music since around 2005 but 2 years ago I bought this machine and went osx only with no pc, a real 27" beast that has been fantastic BUT it's noisy (fans). I am looking at it tonight and wondering what it would look like as bezeless 27", think it would look tiny. Mostly psychological/brain games yes but still, would love a 30 without bezel. From all the news, seems it won't happen. I am ready to drop major $$ on a new imac in a few months, let's hope they get it right.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
USA
I'm looking forward to a new version of the 27" iMac as well. I just hope it's not too expensive. I don't want the 24" model. I have an M1 Mac Mini in the meantime, but miss the all in one simplicity.

Reactions: SalisburySam

Voyageur

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2019
Moscow, Russia
None, which is why I bought a refurb 2020 Intel iMac 5K in September (I am in the same boat - I must have native x86 Windows support and Boot Camp).
So... this is an unexpected sideways maneuver for me, but the 27-inch i7 / 5700XT machine has been ordered! :)

I am sure it will give me the necessary functionality for several years ahead, while the M-series processors continue to develop in huge strides to the desired level. Thanks to everyone who helped and advised me!

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
ouch, sorry buddy.

So... this is an unexpected sideways maneuver for me, but the 27-inch i7 / 5700XT machine has been ordered! :)

I am sure it will give me the necessary functionality for several years ahead, while the M-series processors continue to develop in huge strides to the desired level. Thanks to everyone who helped and advised me!

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area

It's a good machine, I have one, and in many ways prefer it to my M1 Pro.
Easy and relatively inexpensive to upgrade RAM. There are a few pitfalls in upgrading RAM on this particular machine, several threads on it. Without going into a lot of details, don't mix sizes of DIMMs.

Voyageur

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2019
Moscow, Russia
It's a good machine, I have one, and in many ways prefer it to my M1 Pro.
Easy and relatively inexpensive to upgrade RAM. There are a few pitfalls in upgrading RAM on this particular machine, several threads on it. Without going into a lot of details, don't mix sizes of DIMMs.
I also think this is the right choice for me due to the higher compatibility and bootcamp.

Thanks for the information about RAM! I remember someone posted here a list of suitable modules, but unfortunately it was a year or a year and a half ago.

Reactions: wilberforce

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I also think this is the right choice for me due to the higher compatibility and bootcamp.

Thanks for the information about RAM! I remember someone posted here a list of suitable modules, but unfortunately it was a year or a year and a half ago.
Crucial is the safest bet, but there are others that are just as good:

Last edited:
  • Love
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.