Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When do you expect an iMac redesign?

• 4rd quarter 2019

Votes: 34 4.1%
  • 1st quarter 2020

Votes: 23 2.8%
  • 2nd quarter 2020

Votes: 119 14.5%
  • 3rd quarter 2020

Votes: 131 15.9%
  • 4rd quarter 2020

Votes: 172 20.9%
  • 2021 or later

Votes: 343 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
New Mini will come...I just wonder why they didn't do it alongside the Macbook Pros before the shopping season.

The 27 imac and updated mini are the lost souls of the mac world that never ever seem to get going. They could have released all of that along side these macbook pros specs easily back in the pre-covid days of normal production and transport. So now I guess they are just going to push the new mackbook pros for a while.

You got that right. The current shipping delays/lack of truckers is impacting wider distribution of multiple products during this winter. At least this might also be cause for more state side assy/production here in the states. Fuel costs are also elevated. So given the size of MBP boxes versus larger iMacs Boxes it will be awhile, likely next March April for larger iMacs.

nods head in agreement

Jason Snell noted on his website that he thinks the "Mac mini Pro" might just be the victim of component delays and this could extend to the iMac 5K replacement, as well.

We're already starting to see significant shipping delays for certain MBP configuration and Apple would prefer to prioritize parts for the MBPs because they significantly outsell the desktops. And beyond the "common" components like the SoCs and memory, the Mini has unique parts and so would the iMac 5K replacement and it could be that is where the delays are running.

Reactions: xgman

JW Pepper

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2002
I have to say i think that the reason they didn’t announce new iMacs was for a,number of reasons. Firstly I suspect that chips are in short supply and they make more money on lap tops than iMacs. Secondly leave it two months next they can hold another “special event”.

If I,was betting I think the iMc will be called a 30” but be slightly smaller than that. I think it will be offered in a huge number of configurations going right up to a maxed out promotion screen etc.

I suspect that the MacPro will get the M2 and i would not be surprised to see a return to server models with the M2.

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
When the rumor came out the other day about the 27" miniLED screen with 120hz, I thought that the reason to make it maybe a little smaller is due to a cost issue.

Maybe a 32" 120hz miniLED screen is a very high cost for a computer that is always in the limit between a consumer and a professional computer.

Maybe later we will see a 32" iMac Pro with an even more advanced display with the processor of a Mac Pro? I wouldn't rule it out.

But the large iMac has always been a computer that can be used by anyone, both for "average" use and by professionals. It is the equivalent of the MacBook Pro, a computer with enough power to satisfy people who are not professionals, but who are looking for a powerful computer, as well as real professionals.

Reactions: Juuro

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
No 30” iMac. Would need to be 6K to have retina ppi of ~220, which every high end Mac in recent memory has had. 6K 120 wouldn’t happen since that would be better than Pro Display XDR.

27” 5K 218ppi 120hz 10bit is my guess which I believe will be the first 16:9 5K 120hz monitor to exist ever. Would be cool in a pro imac. Imo

JW Pepper

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2002
I think it is conceivable that Apple would offer a standard 30” screen and a screen that is better than the pro xdr screen as a very expensive option. This would mean that you can configure an iMac to be an iMac Pro if you really have the money to spend.

Ordinary consumers would just buy the standard screens but there will be studios that will spend that money. Apple is trying to please everyone at the moment. It is clear that there is demand for a 30” screen So why not give the public what they want?

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
No 30” iMac. Would need to be 6K to have retina ppi of ~220, which every high end Mac in recent memory has had. 6K 120 wouldn’t happen since that would be better than Pro Display XDR.

27” 5K 218ppi 120hz 10bit is my guess which I believe will be the first 16:9 5K 120hz monitor to exist ever. Would be cool in a pro imac. Imo
There may be an update to the XDR to make sure it stays at the top end of the screen range. The 12.9" iPad Pro has 4x as many dimming zones, so it is already falling behind, and the iPad is proof Apple will not hold back a product because it has a specification better than something more expensive.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
If Apple releases a new Thunderbolt Display using the same MiniLED display as the iMac, they will likely also release an update to the Pro Display XDR with either MiniLED or maybe even OLED to ensure it remains the absolute best display Apple has on offer.

At that point, Apple could conceivably bring back the iMac Pro by using the same SoCs as the Mac Pro will use (at least Jade2C-Die) and that same panel as the Pro Display XDR, but it will be very expensive and I could easily see it start at the same $4999 as the old Intel iMac Pro.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I am hopeful that the rumors of 27" are incorrect, however if Apple does stick with this size class I'm sure it's not because of fear of outclassing the Pro Display XDR.
  1. The Pro Display XDR is for a niche of a niche of Apple's market. The amount of people that would forgo the Pro Display to buy an iMac priced at 50% to 80% of it's value is minuscule.
  2. Apple had a product roadmap for years in advanced. They knew about their developments in display technology and the iPad Pro and MacBooks already outclass the Pro Display in several areas. I'd imagine it will be updated alongside the new Mac Pro next year.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Good news today.

Sounds like a very promising machine. Surprised the screen won't get bigger but not a dealbreaker for me. I am concerned about that new starting price. My gut says somewhere between $2,200 - $2,500.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Yep I think todays news was good. I think there will be 2 standard configs (one with M1 pro, other M1 max) but really hoping that there will be a BTO option for dual chips. Feels like there should be space for this in a 27 inch enclosure and would be awesome to see 2 M1 max chips running side by side, even if it’s crazy expensive. I wonder if they’ll reserve the dual/quad M1 max chips for the Mac Pro though...

from benchmarks it looks like even 1 M1 max would be a decent upgrade from the top spec 2020 intel iMac, but not the huge leaps we’ve seen in laptops. Fingers crossed :)

Reactions: ElectronGuru

Juuro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Germany
Yep I think todays news was good. I think there will be 2 standard configs (one with M1 pro, other M1 max) but really hoping that there will be a BTO option for dual chips. Feels like there should be space for this in a 27 inch enclosure and would be awesome to see 2 M1 max chips running side by side, even if it’s crazy expensive. I wonder if they’ll reserve the dual/quad M1 max chips for the Mac Pro though...
I suppose the Jade 2C-Die is the "added configuration" dylandkt is talking about. I would also hope that Apple decides to put it also in th iMac and not just offer it in the Mac Pro. Only two M1 Max would be a true replacement for the old iMac Pro.

Reactions: Onimusha370

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I suppose the Jade 2C-Die is the "added configuration" dylandkt is talking about. I would also hope that Apple decides to put it also in th iMac and not just offer it in the Mac Pro. Only two M1 Max would be a true replacement for the old iMac Pro.
If I recall the old rumors correctly, there were two sets of desktop chips described alongside the mobile chips:

Jade 2C-Die: 20-core CPU (16 performance + 4 efficiency) with up to a 64-core GPU.

Jade 4C-Die: 40-core CPU (32 performance + 8 efficiency) with up to a 128-core GPU.

Plus, I can only assume that there will be various binning-related paid tiers included in the above specifications because why not? Given that rumors for the MacBook Pro chips turned out accurate, I’m feeling pretty good about the above as well.

Either way, I can’t wait to spend money on a new machine with vastly more power than I will ever need just because it makes me happy! :)

Juuro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Germany
If I recall the old rumors correctly, there were two sets of desktop chips described alongside the mobile chips:

Jade 2C-Die: 20-core CPU (16 performance + 4 efficiency) with up to a 64-core GPU.

Jade 4C-Die: 40-core CPU (32 performance + 8 efficiency) with up to a 128-core GPU.

Plus, I can only assume that there will be various binning-related paid tiers included in the above specifications because why not? Given that rumors for the MacBook Pro chips turned out accurate, I’m feeling pretty good about the above as well.

Either way, I can’t wait to spend money on a new machine with vastly more power than I will ever need just because it makes me happy! :)
Yes, exactly. Those are "simply" 2 or 4 M1 Max chips stacked together in a package. But I think the Jade 4C-Die will only be available in the Mac Pro. Maybe the Jade 2 C-Die will be also available as the top configuration iMac. Let's hope they decide(d) to offer that beast also in the iMac. ?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

Based on the MBP Geekbench SC, MC and Metal scores, an Apple Silicon iMac Pro with the M1 MAX would score a bit higher than an Intel iMac Pro with the 14-core Xeon and Vega Pro 64. :eek:

Juuro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Germany
Based on the MBP Geekbench SC, MC and Metal scores, an Apple Silicon iMac Pro with the M1 MAX would score a bit higher than an Intel iMac Pro with the 14-core Xeon and Vega Pro 64. :eek:
Yes, that's great! But this machine will be five years old when the new iMac is released. So if Apple wan't to have a real worthy successor they should put this Jade 2C-Die in the iMac Pro.

Reactions: Voyageur

Appledoesnotlisten

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2017
Asking here as this looks the most relevant thread for my question.

I have 27" iMac (2020, i5 6-core, RAM 48Gb, GPU Radeon 5300 4Gb) with a VESA mount and want a bigger screen.
Will this iMac be able to power a 32" XDR if I disable it's own display, or I need a better computer for the 27"?

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Asking here as this looks the most relevant thread for my question.

I have 27" iMac (2020, i5 6-core, RAM 48Gb, GPU Radeon 5300 4Gb) with a VESA mount and want a bigger screen.
Will this iMac be able to power a 32" XDR if I disable it's own display, or I need a better computer for the 27"?

This is not the most suitable discussion for your question, nevertheless I am pretty sure you can do what you are asking, and here are some suggestions for technical details on how to confirm that and get further direction:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

Yes the 2020 Intel iMac 5K can drive it's own display and a Pro Display XDR at the same time: https://www.apple.com/imac-27/specs/

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colors and:
One 6016-by-3384 (6K) external display at 60Hz with support for 1 billion colors

Voyageur

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2019
Moscow, Russia
Hasten to inform that I waited too long for a new iMac since 2013 machine, and when the new MacBook Pro was announced, my patience ran out :) Ordered 16" Max/64, but this does not cancel the future iMac for me: just realized that I needed an opportunity and time to catch up with a lot of technologies and changes that I have missed in almost a decade of mac development.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
It seems the new imac will keep 27" mini-Led +promotion display
And the max configuration will have duo M1 Max with 64 gpu cores and up to 128 unified memory

Reactions: Juuro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.