will a 3g us ipad 2 work in the uk

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jimmydud1, Mar 3, 2011.

1. jimmydud1 macrumors newbie

hi i am going to be in the us over the next few weeks and wanted to purchase one of the new ipad2, i originally thought of just getting a wi-fi one but recently decided to get a 3g one if it were possible, i wanted to know if this was so and how i go about changing it from at&t to a uk network, thanks

2. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

If I'm not mistaken, 3G iPads are sold unlocked. Just make sure you buy the AT&T version.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Well the current iPad is but, officially, Apple does not state if the iPad2 is carrier locked or not. An Apple CSR said the iPad2 was unlocked but, frankly, I'm not going to believe anything until I either see a reviewer state they tested various CellCo SIMs and they all worked or Apple states it's unlocked on the iPad tech specs.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would not get the vzw flavored ipad if you hope to use it in the UK.

5. samwise macrumors regular

The US Apple store pricing page does have this sentence:

which could be taken either way - it's unlocked as they mean iPad 2 (a) works with AT&T and iPad 2 (b) works with Verizon, and never the twain shall meet, and nothing more.

Or that it is locked to whichever provider you choose.

Going on the iPad 1, i'd say that it was the first - unlocked but can't be used on the other carrier. It could've been written more clearly though.

6. jimmydud1 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thank you, i am in florida until the 14th so do you think they will make an offical statement saying it will be either locked or unlocked by then or will reviews have already come out stating that they've tested it, ie should i wait for as long as possible until i leave to purchase it or just get one on the release date?

7. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

it will work overseas. don't worry. the ability to turn your data on and off should be enough proof. you'll be fine to take it to the UK.

8. jimmydud1 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thank you for your help. I have to be honest and say im pretty naiive when it comes to ipads as i havnt bought into the idea until now. Do i simply go to an apple store in america ask for a 3G 16GB AT&T ipad, pay and walk out? then purchase a data plan from a uk phone company?

9. Junje macrumors newbie

@jimmydud1,
    Hi, did you decide to get the 3G ipad? just wondering how you got on with in the UK, I'm thinking of doing the same. TIA

10. sfdrum macrumors newbie

Does Ipad 2 3g work in UK/Europe

Hi,

Just wondering has anyone got any updates on the above subject as I'm currently thinking of purchasing in the states for use in Ireland and UK?

many thanks

Shay

11. dwight8 macrumors newbie

Does Work

Hi there, got an AT&T 3G iPad from the US.
    I've activated it in Italy and started using under WiFi only. I've then purchased an italian micro-SIM (3) and I can now use 3G connection. It works great. The only disadvantage is the american-plug for power supply. ;)

Btw, I got a refurbished-one and look&feel is just great. Go for it and save a few bucks!

12. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

Thanks for the update!

If the US plug type bothers you, you can purchase the world travel kit directly from Apple which includes the EU plug type. (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB974ZM/B)

13. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

I know its an old thread, but something like this would be ideal

http://store.three.co.uk/SIM_Only/Mobile_Broadband_iPad_Micro_SIM