Will a 3GS oleophobic screen fit 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 2000m, Aug 25, 2009.

1. 2000m macrumors member

2000m

are the 3g and 3gs screens interchangeable ?
    i shattered my 3gs screen and was wondering if both 3g and 3gs screens would fit?

2. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    shouldn't the topic question be switched? if a 3g screen will fit a 3gs??

But to answer your question, the screens should be the exact same size, but I wouldn't have a clue about how to start swapping them. Maybe apple will be nice enough to do it for you. or you could always void your warranty and try to find someone else to do it ;)

3. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The glass part of the screen will fit perfecly, but you can't use the same LCD panel that's attached to it. You must remove all 6 screws from the glass frame that is holding the LCD panel in and replace it with the LCD screen from the 3GS. Do not try to use your 3G LCD in your 3GS because the connectors are different. I have taken apart an iPhone 3GS and tried installing a 3G screen and the 3G connectors didn't fit.

Good luck!

4. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Good info to know for those attempting screen swaps.

5. excoyote macrumors newbie

Both, LCD and Touchscreen do not FIT

Hi I worte from Chile and I tried with both pieces, no one fits, LCD and Touchscreen of Iphone 3Gs do not haves same connector that 3G.

Regards
    Luis

6. Mark2003 macrumors newbie

It's good to know that the 3G and 3GS screens are different also be aware of the trap I fell into. I ordered a replacement glass screen for my 4 and received just that a piece of glass. Not an LCD screen but just a piece of glass. Not impressed. However I do offer ta service of free I phone repairs as long as the customer meets the packaging fees and provides the replacement part the repair is totally free.