Will a 500GB harddrive work in a MacBook Pro (Santa Rosa)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techmonkey, Jan 31, 2009.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

I have a MacBook Pro (Santa Rosa) with a 120GB hard drive. I would like to replace it myself with a 500GB drive. I know that in the desktop PC world certain BIOS and motherboards only support certain size drives. Is this true for Macs? I also read a comment by someone on another site stating his 500GB drive was a little thicker than the original drive in his MacBook Pro. Does this sound right? Does Apple have a list of "recommended hard drives" for the MacBook Pro?

2. Skystar macrumors 6502

You should have no problem because even my 15" 2.16 "CoreDuo" classic worked with a 500gb with no problems. Works great!

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

As long as it's SATA it will work. Be sure the drive is a 9.5 mm model and not a 12.5 mm as the latter wont let the case close if installed (on a 15"). The 500 GB 2.5" drives of today are available in 9.5 mm, just make sure it is the height (unless you've got a 17" MBP, then either will fit).

4. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats good to hear. Was it hard opening the case up? Ive been reading alot about the process, documenting various tips.

@iToaster,
    Thanks for the tip. How can I be sure the thickness of the hard drive though? Normally hard drive sizes only state 2.5" or 3.5" width. Newegg doesnt seem to list the thickness either.

5. Skystar macrumors 6502

It's not that hard opening the case, but don't forget that replacing the hard drive on your own may void any kind of apple care warranty, so make sure to take your time.

6. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

yea, i read about that. I still have 2 years left of AppleCare, but if I ever have a warranty issue I can just pop the old drive back in.

7. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

Recently the superdrive on mine went out and was replaced by Applecare, and they didn't say a word about my replaced hdd. As long you don't cause problems by replacing it then it won't be a problem.

8. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

Ok, lets say that my gpu dies. when I send in my computer. do i have to switch out the newly installed hd back to the factory installed hd?:confused:

Thanks

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Not entirely. From what I understand, Apple won't replace the hard drive if the hard drive fails because its third-party not the original. Beyond that, Your warranty is still in effect for all the other part of the system, except the drive.

10. Moriarty macrumors 6502

If you're going for a good 500GB drive, try the Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB - best 500GB drive on the market as AFAIK it's the only one to use two data platters instead of 3. It fits in the 9.5mm height as well.

Seagate are coming out with a 7200rpm 500GB at some stage I think if you want a 7200rpm drive.

11. 929406 macrumors regular

500 HD can do

No problems at all with a 500 hd, I changed both my late 08 and Unibody MBPs to seagate 500 hd and so far no issues at all

the unibody models are easier to swap over naturally

12. SmoothBox macrumors newbie

I have the unibody as well, a 15" MBP and I wanted to upgrade my drive to the 500 gb drive. I was looking at getting the seagate from new egg and just wondering if anyone new any good or bad news on the drive?

Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

Heres the link:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374

Also when I go to actually install the drive how do I go about reconfiguring it? I mean can I just do time machine to an external and then plug that in after the install let time machine do its thing? Also what about the OS how do I get all that with the drivers installed on the new HD?

All help is greatly appreciated.....

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

That drive is fine

Im not sure about the process of restoring from time machine (i've never used it). When i put a new hard drive in to my mbp, i bought a 2.5'' external case and put the old drive in to that. Then i used carbon copy cloner to just clone all of the data on the old drive on to the new drive. It works perfectly and is really easy to use.

14. showstoppin macrumors newbie

showstoppin

yes, they work perfectly! mine is a a seagate 500gb at 5400, wish it were 7200 though! very simple to install as well, just youtube hd mbp install.

15. SmoothBox macrumors newbie

Whaa so what is this "Carbon Copy Cloner" and how does it work exactly? You put your hd in a case and then use this device and it somehow clones it by like a magnetic process or.....?

16. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

i just installed that drive in my SR MBP, works great. Use carbon copy cloner... but you will need something to make the NEW drive plug into USB so you can clone the old to the new...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812161002

Then you just put the new HD in and you are good to go. No configuration needed at all.

It copies bit by bit, makes an exact duplicate and works great and free.

17. SmoothBox macrumors newbie

And check this one out it has the "G Force Protection" but I don't know truly how important that feature is......

http://discountechnology.com/Products?search=ST9500420ASG

So all you need is some type of 2.5'' external case/enclosure?

Also can you use the free trial of Carbon Copy Cloner to do the whole HD or do you have to pay the $10? I have the 320GBHD and mine is 297 formatted which about 20gigs left.

I didn't know if it made any diff. but just trying to make sure I cover all my bases because I'm ready to buy the HD and clone it up and install.

18. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

CCC is free... donate if you like but you don't have to. Yes an enclosure or device to connect the drive via USB is needed since you can't install 2 drives inside the MBP.

19. SmoothBox macrumors newbie

On another forum someone said "I ordered the AS model because I have read somewhere that the ASG model may have issues with the newer Mac drop sensor built into the Unibody MBP"

Anyone heard of this? So there is a drop sensor in the newer Unibody MBP's? And what good does this do unless the HD has some sort of the same feature right?

20. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

This drive is insanely great. I have one in my Santa Rosa MBP and I could not be any happier about it. But be sure to get an "ASG" version, it has the sudden motion sensor.

The drop sensor is always built into the hard drive, so if you order an "AS" version you lose that feature.

21. SmoothBox macrumors newbie

What about the Sudden Motion Sensor? It says in the aftermarket part that a lot of people reported issues with the Western Digital Scorpio Models......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_Motion_Sensor

Among the MacBook and MacBook Pro community there have been several owners who installed aftermarket hard drives already equipped with anti-shock features who reported experiencing Kernel Panic errors whenever their unit was physically moved

Here's how to enable/disable it, and even tho the article is old it has been updated and I did a couple of the commands to confirm it.

Apple Portables: Advanced tips for Sudden Motion Sensor

22. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

What's the point of buying a drive with the sensor built in when it is part of Mac OS X?

23. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Get the unit without the drop sensor if you get a Seagate. There have been reported conflicts with the drives built-in sudden motion sensors and the Mac's own.

If going Western Digital, the 500gig Scorpio Blue comes without it (only the WD Scorpio Black models have the sudden motion sensor, and so far there isn't a 500gig version of their 7200rpm drive)

Just go to the manufacturers websites and get the technical details. I'd link to them, but I'm too damn lazy right now. ;)

I've got the WD500g Scorpio Blue in a SR MBP 2.2 (see sig.) Works like a charm. Highly recommended.

24. SmoothBox macrumors newbie

Wow you need to read that link that I posted about the Sudden Motion Sensor because it says a lot of people reported having problems with the Blue Scorpio versions of the Western Digital.

Also does anyone know a good link as to where to get a free version of the Carbon Copy Cloner?

Oh yea and I take it you have to buy an external enclosure that supports up to 500gb since that's the HD i'm upgrading to right or?

25. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

CCC is donationware. It's free.

You don't have to use a 500GB HDD external but if you ever fill your internal up to about 320GB and keep backing up eventually it will fill. Keep in mind that the way Time Machine does things is that it only backs up files that changed so if you make a lot of file changes it can fill up even if you have the same sized external.