Will a 7200 make a difference over a 5400 for gaming? - Ordering in a few hours!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Apr 27, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

I don't really care much about my apps opening faster or huge file transfers, but if it will increase framerates in games a significant amount I think I'll go for it. Otherwise Ill probably just stick with the 5400 and maybe opt for an SSD down the line.

What do you guys think? Gonna be ordering in a few hours so all of your help would be awesome.

And I know there is a 5400 vs 7200 thread but it dosent discuss gaming at all.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

AFAIK, no. FPS depend on RAM, CPU and GPU, and I guess all crucial parts of the game are copied to RAM and VRAM, that's why the loading times (not sure though)

3. stodge macrumors member

I wouldn't think so unless the game is streaming huge amounts of data to/ from disk. You could always replace the 5400 if it's too slow with a 7200 of your choice.

4. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

True but I like the idea of it being covered by apple : /

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Upgrading HD does NOT void your warranty... The HD you put inside it won't be covered by Apple but it'll be by the manufacturer which usually gives 3-5 years

6. Moomba macrumors regular

It will likely help marginally with load times. It will not help with actual frames per sec. The price difference is negligible and the 7200's shipping with the new MBP's are pretty darn quiet. I haven't noticed any audible noise or vibration from mine thus far.

7. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

It's Tough choice. I need a computer as soon as possible so the 2-3 day shipping is $18 plus $50 for the 7200. I know it's not much in the longrun but I would rather put it towards a possibly better HD? Maybe an ssd.

Is it posible that a hard drive can ruin other things on a computer that then wouldn't be covered by apple because it's a 3rd party HD?

Also, the general consensus is that heat and battery aren't an issue with a 7200 correct?

8. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

from what i hear the 7200 rpm is somewhat louder and it makes the MBP vibrate somewhat. I plan on getting a 5400rpm and swap it for a x25 SSD after 6 months or so.

is there still 2-3 shipping then? i heard delivery times are up to 4-6 weeks on selected models already due to arrandale shortages...

9. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Wow if this is then case I will definitely be getting mine at the apple store with the 5400...makes my decision much easier ha. Can anybody else vouch for this? Seems crazy that I would pay for 2-3 day shipping only to have it arrive weeks later...

edit: never mind i just took a look at the "has your mbp shipped yet?" thread...its not lookin too good...

10. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Also, is it possible to upgrade to the 7200 through apple later on?

11. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Anybody? Im leaning towards the 5400....the wait time for delivery scares me and it seems like I wont notice the difference too much. Would like some more opinions though. Also need to know if I can upgrade the HD through apple if I so choose?

Sorry for being so insistent.

12. davidlv macrumors 65816

Modern 7,200 rpm drives are much improved compared to older models, and I can definitely say my Seagate 7,200 Momentus ( model without motion sensor) is just as quiet (no audible noise at for my old ears) as the Toshiba 250GB stock drive it replaced. There is no perceptible vibration at all. I am sure you could measure it scientifically, but I can't feel anything at all with my palm on the palmrest right above the HD location.
    I tried a WD Scorpio 500GB 5,400 rpm drive but before I had a chance to see about noise/vibration, constant beachballs drove me crazy and I swapped it out. I have heard it sometimes has a "whosshing" noise or a varible spin up/down noise that some people don't like. So the noise issue is not limited to the higher speed drives. I have also heard the Hitachi 7,200 rpm drive is fast, quiet and has little vibration. As usual, you will just have to try one to really find out.

13. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Just upgrade it yourself. It is easy and does not void the warranty. The only thing is the hard drive is not covered through Apple but is covered through the manufacture warranty.

14. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

This is what I will most likely do I am just hoping its a good idea/better than just ordering the 7200 from apple.

Also, is there any way the 3rd party hard drive could damage components of the computer that then would not be covered by apple because their HD did not cause the damage?