Will a 75w Power Inverter Be Enough?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trikky, Jul 13, 2012.

1. trikky macrumors regular

I have an early 2011 MBP 17" and the specs say the battery is 95w and the charger is 85w. My question is whether a 75w power inverter would cause any problems should I plug my MBP into that on a rare occasion? I'm thinking that it would not - it would just take longer to charge a depleted battery than if it were plugged into mains power - but before I cracked open the inverter packaging thought I should get a knowledgable answer.

I don't need a huge power inverter, I just wanted a basic one to keep in the car for cell phone charging purposes, etc - but if it can charge the computers on road trips, that would be great as well.

Thanks in advance

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You should get one that will at least do 85W.

3. 01mggt macrumors 6502

Keep in mind the rating on most inverters is the peak rating. Not the constant. I would buy a 150w to be safe. I have a nice one about the size of a usb hdd

4. trikky thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to all. Input has been noted and valued. Will be getting a different inverter.

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Honestly it probably would've been fine. Especially since the laptop won't actually pull the full 85W except when the battery is almost drained. The power draw drops pretty quickly from that point on. Assuming the inverter was from a decent brand, it probably could've handled the extra 10W without much complaint