Will a Apple care replacement phone when activated get Pages, iPhoto, etc?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CorporateFelon, Jan 16, 2014.

1. CorporateFelon macrumors regular

CorporateFelon

Now that Pages, iPhoto, etc, in iOS are free for new phones/ipads, is that only for purchased new phones/ipads? Or will a replacement phone through applecare count as a new activation and get the new applications?

2. 617aircav Suspended

If your previous phone had it, the replacement will, thats for sure.

3. CorporateFelon thread starter macrumors regular

CorporateFelon

I thought that it was obvious that in my asking that current phone does not have them. I'm dealing with power button issues on the 5, just curious if I get it fix/replaced if I'm in for a surprise.

4. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Op yes your phone will be classed as a new iOS device activation and be eligible for the free apps.

6. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

I think it's just for the 5S/C and the new iPads. And once you get those apps, they're linked to your account permanently.

7. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

When I swapped out a friends iPad 3, he got access to the apps for free without having a newer device linked to his account. I'd assume it would be the same for the iPhone 5, since the replacements are classed as new devices.

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

Yes you will get that apps. I got them in the same situation.

I thought I had heard old devices can get the apps as well if they are restored and setup as new, but I'm not sure on that. Apple isn't too strict about giving these apps for free.

9. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Every time AppleCare asks me to restore my iPhone 5 as new, it pops up asking "Here want these Apps?" when I first get into the App Store. I already owned the big 5 - Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iPhoto, iMovie - but it asked before I even installed them or even logged in with my Apple ID.

10. blarivee macrumors 6502

Replacement iPhone 5 have new serial numbers generated. As long as those numbers are generated after the date when Apple announced the free apps, it will let you download them for free.

11. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

A lot of incorrect info here. When you sign into your iTunes account with your eligible device the apps become part of your purchase history. You can even download them to your other ios devices. You will certainly be able to load them on the replacement phone.