Will a bad battery throttle the processor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by filmbuff, Apr 19, 2015.

1. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

On some older macs if you take the battery OUT the processor will be throttled by 50% because of charger limitations. I'm wondering if that applies to a 2012 MBA too.

My Air has been running noticeably slower than it used to. The battery health is showing 2.7 years old, 326 cycles and only 42% health. Could this be the reason it's running slow? If not I suspect Yosemite because it seems to lag a lot more since I installed Yosemite.

2. motrek macrumors 68020

I doubt it. 42% isn't very good but should be more than enough to make up for whatever the computer can't get from the wall outlet.

What does Activity Monitor say when your computer is running slowly?

3. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

the only case i could think of would be if you had a charging problem that made the batteries get really hot. heat will throttle your CPU under extreme cases but if your batteries are getting hot enough to throttle your CPU i'd say you have bigger problems

4. motrek macrumors 68020

I have to believe that the batteries have their own temperature sensor and if they're getting too hot when charging, the firmware will simply stop charging them (or charge them more slowly).

5. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

for sure, hence my end statement of "if that is happenning then you have bigger problems"