Will a bigger iPhone screen mean redesigned apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brayhite, Jun 17, 2011.

1. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Basically what the title says: if Apple introduces a larger screen, will apps designed for the 3.5" screen need to be reworked to fit without leaving black bars on the top/bottom and sides? I'm not a developer, just a curious party.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

It would depend on the screen size and resolution of the bigger screen (if it is to happen), apps would only need to be re-worked if the aspect ratio will change from the current 1.5:1 (4x3) format.

Also, if the aspect ratio will change developers need to know now so that they have enough time to code and develop before iOS 5 is released this fall.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If Apple goes 4" with the iPhone/iPod touch then they'll most likely just have a lower PPI but keep the resolution the same. There are already 3 different resolutions to code/do graphics for (if doing universal apps) and a probable 4th with a higher res iPad screen.

4. MEJHarrison, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

Actually it's even easier than that. If the screen resolution changes from it's current 960x640, then apps would need to change. It doesn't matter if they introduce a 2 foot screen. If it's still 960x640, then nothing needs to change. But if they do change the resolution, then it doesn't matter what they do with the screen size. Bigger, smaller, same size; it won't make a difference (as was already demonstrated when the iPhone 4 came out with the same size screen at a much higher resolution).

So, it's really a question of resolution. Nothing else really matters. And since aspect ratio is calculated from the resolution, it doesn't matter either. Plus, you can change the resolution, but keep the same aspect ratio and that would still need a change. And if the aspect ratio changes, then by it's very definition, that means the resolution changed in some fashion, thus a change would be needed.

So to simplify, if the resolution changes, apps need to change if they want to take full advantage of the new size. If it doesn't change, then there would be no reason at all to change apps.

5. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

They will upscale but just like when the retina display came out apps will need to take advantage of the screen.

6. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Apple has painted themselves into a corner with the much touted "retina" display. They cannot increase the screen by any meaningful amount (meaning at least 4") without losing the (albeit marketing fabrication) "retina" moniker. They'd never live it down.

So, it would be 3.7/8 max and really, why bother for such a small increase. I think they (and us) are stuck with 3.5" until they redesign the entire phone again.

7. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Didn't toshiba show off higher than 400ppi 4 inch display a few months ago? I remember reading something like that. If so Apple could just buy some from them and keep the retina resolution with a 4inch+ screen. Probably can even go as high as 4.2-4.3 without losing on the resolution. That would be amazing for web browsing.

8. genexrocket macrumors regular

It's gonna be like how the iPad upscales iPhone apps or how the iPhone 4 upscales non-Retina display apps.

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

it might be bigger, but not that much bigger that it would have to upscale the apps.

[​IMG]

10. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

So..there's no real clear answer? Ha. I assumed if the ratio changed, apps would have to change. And unless the screen size just BARELY changed, there would be a ratio change, that is unless they increased the width of the phone itself.

That being said, I doubt a screen size change is in order. Apple seems to like to keep things as uniform as possible, and introducing a third screen size at a different resolution, meaning four total different reolutions and three different screen sizes spanning five devices.. Just don't see it.

11. kre62 macrumors 68000

If the screen size increases its a 99.99% chance apple will keep the same resolution. Thus no changes would be necessary. Apps can only tell what resolution they are running at, the physical size of the screen is irrelevant.

12. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

I've not done the maths but if Apple were to increase to 4" it would still count as a retina display? I'm guessing it would still be over 300dpi so they could claim it.

Nothing would need changed, as I'm yet to see even a 4.5" phone better the iPhones resolution on the current screen.

13. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

4" would be around 285ppi. Too low to call it retina. The biggest they can go and keep it over 300ppi is 3.8". That may be the sweet spot for Apple. I'd take it.

14. Blues003 macrumors 6502

What I would like to know is how on Androids app run on LDPI, MDPI, HDPI, and qHD...

15. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

At 3.8" there would be exactly no difference regarding the resolution to a human eye, right?

16. rovex macrumors 65816

I'm sure apple won't compromise the current PPI for a larger screen.

17. err404 macrumors 68020

I hope that apps would be redesigned. I dont see much benefit of simply having larger buttons. That said, they would probably just be upscaled :\

18. err404 macrumors 68020

The Android UI layer uses a different technique and was designed for variable sizing. Currently iOS is not.