Will a bumper prevent the shattering iPhone problem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nrwrit3r, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Will it absorb the shock and stop the shattering of the front/back?

Or do I need a case that covers the back, to minimize the possibilites?

2. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

Depends how high it falls... the Bumper 'covers the back' essentially... because if you were to sit it flat on a table, the back of the iPhone wouldn't touch the table as the bumper is touching the table.... But I don't see any real protection in the bumper anyway.

3. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Covering the back isn't going to prevent it from shattering unless it lands on a rock or something. If you were to drop your phone onto a level surface it will hit the ground with one of the sides, not the back. Not many people have done stress tests with the bumpers, since most don't want to risk their $600 new phone. Try looking around the web for reviews as to whether or not the bumper is a good case.

4. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

The primary purpose of the bumper is to prevent skin-on-metal contact which will become clear soon enough, but the secondary function is to (hopefully) absorb enough force during impact to keep it from spreading to the glass panels and causing the shattering. So far, I've seen about 40 different people posting in different forums presenting pictures or video footage of their already shattered iPhone 4 screens - I haven't seen one yet that shows a shattered back panel, remarkably.

Kinda sad to know a cheap plastic cup from 7-11 I've got sitting here with some Pepsi in it is more technologically capable of withstanding the 3' drop to the floor than my iPhone 4 probably is. :( I'd test it by pushing the phone off the desk but, since I've got to return it in a few days I'm not taking that kind of chance.

And I live in Vegas too... go figure. :p

5. Zinger314 macrumors member

Zinger314

The front/back are raised by a few millmeters due to rubber accenting. Theoretically it would hit that and absorb the shot before it hits the screen.

6. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

Hey me too! :D
    I bought a case very similar to the bumper (For the guy living in Vegas I got it at a mall stand [boulevard mall]) it was $25 for two cases and its basically a tough rubber material. Protects the sides exactly like a bumper and covers the back too, I like it works great. I dropped it once to test it on tile floor and not one scratch or dent.

7. Shorties macrumors 6502a

As long as it doesn't land on a rock or another uneven surface, the shock should hit the bumper before it hits the phone, so you will be much more protected with a Bumper than a naked iPhone. But there may be better options out there, most likely they will be bulkier though.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Wrong.

True, but when your cup has glass, gyroscopes, a battery, and a boatload of electronics it may not be so drop resistant. Apples <> Oranges.

9. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

What was that supposed to mean? If you take a block of wood the approximate size and shape of any cell phone, I can almost guarantee that the wood will be better in any drop test.

10. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Soon somebody will make a youtube strees video of the new bumper case. Or so I hope...:cool:

11. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

True, but Steve Jobs didn't compare the iPhone 4's glass with a block of wood, he compared it to plastic... ;)

I've got a Motorola and LG cell phone that are made of (oh the horror) plastic and I could drop them on my carpeted floor all day long without fear of them not working.

How can I have such faith in these low end "cheap" cell phones surviving the fall and the impact countless times and not the iPhone 4 sitting on my desktop? I can't say why, but I do.

12. raremage macrumors 6502a

I don't think he compared the phone components to a cup, either...
    I don't recall reading about any drops onto carpet resulting in broken screens / backs. I think you're pretty safe unless we're talking astroturf over asphalt here. A standard carpet over a carpet pad should be plenty. The thing to worry about is a tile floor.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Because those cell phones are cheap. The iPhone is not. I'd have no qualms dropping my old RAZR from a few years ago a few times and not care either way if it breaks. Then again, I never dropped it and it's falling apart anyway. Why? Because it's cheap.

On the other hand, I've ALWAYS taken care of my iPhones. Even if they don't break, I know that if I drop them I'm going to be angry with myself and I'm going to be obsessively looking for the tiniest cosmetic defects. So, I don't do it. And, over 4 iPhones I've only dropped one once, and it was inside of a leather holster case that did a good job of taking all the damage while the iPhone inside was fine.

14. sorchard macrumors regular

Then what about a highend (for its time) Nokia smartphone?

All plastic and rubber, I've dropped it many a time onto tiled floors, concrete, etc. Phone looks (apart from a few small chips) and performs great. Then you see 3G/3GS casings cracking despite being babied.

It will be interesting if the iPhone 4 has some sort of design flaw (aside from the antenna issue).

15. army91c macrumors 6502a

There is no iPhone shattering problem. There is an idiot dropping a phone made of glass and expecting it not to break problem. Glass+stainless steel+abuse=broken phone. The math don't lie. ;)

16. nexsta macrumors 6502

17. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I know, right! Any why do we make all these other things out of glass? What kind of stupid company makes laptop screens out of glass? In fact, I am kind of mad we have glass cups. And windows. And don't even get me started on mirrors.