Will a case over heat my mac when gaming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Finox831, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Finox831 macrumors member

Title says it all, thinking of buying a case for my 13" mac book pro but I don't want to spend the money if it's going to over heat my laptop every time I decide to play starcraft 2

Any suggestions of a good case that won't over heat my laptop when gaming?

Also, what are your guys thoughts on the icase?

-Thanks in advance

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

You should be fine. Just make sure the space where the hinges are do not get blocked, as thats where the hot air is expelled from.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why do you need a case in the first place? You could buy one and just take it off when you're not gaming.

4. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Don’t get a case. I bought one that people were all recommending (Speck SeeThru). I used it for a week or so and then decided that I hated it. It adds too much weight. It makes your MacBook Pro heavy and ugly.

5. Finox831 thread starter macrumors member

That's a hassle man.

Well, the icase looks pretty awesome and it doesn't seem to weigh a lot/look ugly, but pictures can be deceiving.

6. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Agree.

I don't know why people get cases for their MB/MBPs. Just use it naked and treat it well.

7. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

The Incase is basically the same as the Speck. My Speck SeeThru Satin arrived last week, and I'm loving it. It does add a bit of weight, but the computer doesn't look ugly. Not as beautiful as the aluminum finish, but if you want that you could get a SeeThru clear one. IMO it's worth it, I carry my MBP around school all day long and it is always good to have something protecting it!

8. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

The speck black looks alright but I’d much rather have a sexy laptop then a somewhat protected one. The case I got was a clear one and I cannot recommend it at all. There was nothing really wrong with it but I guess it just isn’t for me.

9. vant macrumors 65816

Touch your bottom of your MBP. Is it hot? Now imagine covering it. Anyone with common sense will tell you that you are insulating it. Sure it vents out the bottom of the screen, but it also dissipates through the chassis.

"But there are holes at the bottom of the case cover!" So? It's still insulating the rest of the laptop. A few tiny holes isn't going to do crap.

10. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I've been gaming quite a lot lately on my 13" and no overheating is detected. The temp difference from adding the case is minimal. SC2, MoH Beta, Sims 3, and MW2 haven't overheated my mac.

11. Finox831 thread starter macrumors member

what case are you using? and around how long do you play these games for?

12. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I use the speck satin and I game for at least 2 hours or more for each sitting.