Will a Clean install erase my Recovery Partition?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Traverse, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Hi,

I posted a while ago about whether I should clean install Mavericks or just update, we'll I decided to update like I did for for Lion and Mountain Lion and I'm not impressed.

It is laggy and the animations keep freezing. I want to create a bootable drive and clean install the system but I had some concerns...

- if I boot and erase my HDD and reformat it will I loose the recovery partition that came with it when I bought it with Snow Leopard? Will the new installation create a new one?

-Will time machine let me choose which Apps I want to restore? I'm not doing a full restore, just documents and certain apps and iTunes.

I am currently using File Vault, should I turn this off before the process or does it matter is I erase the drive? I will deactivate it later.

Thank you all, I trust your inputs. Also if any one wanted to post how to make the bootable drove I would appreciate it, if not I have found other sources.

Thank you all.

Traverse

2. BasicGreatGuy, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The Mavericks USB install guide (thanks to TyWebb) will create a Mavericks recovery partition. http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18187499&postcount=53

As to FileVault, so long as you have a working username and password for it, keeping it active shouldn't be an issue. If it were me, I would turn it off just the same. The least amount of extra variables in a new installation the better, as far as I am concerned.

As to your installation, are you sure your Mac has finished indexing? If not, that will definitely cause the machine to lag, until it is finished.

3. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

Related question -- I upgraded to Mavericks. Do I need to recreate that partition? Do you have to rebuild the partition with each major upgrade??

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

In all honesty you no longer need a recovery partition providing you have an internet connection.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

No.

6. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Thank you for the reply, perhaps the indexing is it, I will give it more time, but I have never experienced this on an upgrade. Swiping in launch pad freezes and I get the beachball when it sitting idle. I never expected this to happen, but aw well...

That is true, but I like having one just in case.

So if wipe my drive and install mavericks the installation will create a new recovery drive?

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

As your last question, if you use Ty's method, it will create a recovery partition.

8. kensic macrumors 6502

that is true, if you do not use any features that require a recovery partition. for example "find my mac".

plus having a recovery partition saves you time from downloading the massive file everytime.

----------

dang it! yup I did a clean a instill using another method of USB bootable. saw no recovery partition after.

now I gotta do it again with Ty's method, GRRRR how comes a few more hours.

can you confirm me again that Ty's method will automatically create a new mavericks recovery partition. thanks