Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Hi,
I have a mid 2010 15 Inch Macbook pro. I have a couple of days off, so I want to clean up my laptop in terms of files and app I no longer need. And it got my thinking: I've been upgrading using the installer from snow leopard all the way up to yosemite. Will doing a clean install offer any benefits in terms of performance etc?
Thanks

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I'd recommend doing this, especially with that large of a jump. You can do it pretty easily. Just download the Yosemite installer from the App Store before you wipe and create a USB installer using one these methods:
http://www.macworld.com/article/236...otable-os-x-10-10-yosemite-install-drive.html

Option 1 is quickest. Just name your formatted USB drive "Untitled" and copy/paste the command from that page into terminal. Type your admin password and boom that's it.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
I recently did this on 2011 iMac and saw a significant speed boost logging in, opening apps, and other day to day activities

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Depending on software loaded a new start can be faster. Application depending its not just the uninstall application from the application folder. It can be its stuff stored in the hidden library folder you also have to hit. Or other areas if used. tracking this down can be time consuming I have found. Especially in my case as I put in CLI only apps too and have to recall what I installed and dig up their uninstall guides. Homebrew makes this easier somewhat. But not all my CLI apps are in that system to make this process fast unfortunately.

Why I am eyeing a fresh rebuild myself at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.