Will a Clean Install on Lion Mess up Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Winter Charm, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

I just finished upgrading to lion on my mac, and my bootcamp partition is in perfect condition.

However, I'm about to do a clean reinstall of Lion just to remove some of the fluff I see lying around after I played around a *lot* in snow leopard. (constantly trying out new mac apps, playing with system settings, etc)

I'm just worried that reinstalling Lion may mess up my bootcamp settings, and i will no longer be able to access my windows 7 partition (I use it for college, and need the programs on there)

Yes, i have backed up both sides of my system, but I just don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling windows.

Anyone online who has done a clean install of lion alongside a bootcamp partition?

2. jgould macrumors regular

I've done it in SL before, I just did it with Lion on my MBP, but I'm still pretty confident that my BootCamp partition is intact. The Mac OS installer doesn't mess with the BootCamp partition as far as I know...

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

All that effort just to remove some "fluff"? Why not just do some manual housecleaning? If you do a restore, migration or whatever you're still going to have to trash some stuff manually.

A "clean" install is just a reformat of the drive and an install of Lion, and then either a migration or manual copying. Just make sure you don't mess with the other partitition. If you have to ask perhaps you should leave well-enough alone, or at least search here for posts about bootcamp partitions; some have had problems.

Rob

4. VTECaddict macrumors 6502