Will a dual 500mhz g4 chip work in a 400mhz g4 with AGP Graphics?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by raysfan81, Mar 24, 2010.

1. raysfan81 macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

I found one on craigslist for $15 but want to make sure it will work, or if I do get it and try to install it I want to make sure I don't break my computer.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm not sure as it has been years since I thought about it. But I think it will work.

3. raysfan81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

I thought it would work because the ZIF socket is the same (I think) but I'm not sure...:confused:

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I did some digging and yes it will work. If you really want that thing to run fast you could put a dual core 2.0Ghz G4 in it. But they cost a lot more then $15. Your find is a pretty good one. I would say go for it.

5. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

maybe yes, maybe no. depends on the AGP systems Uni-n rev. some were made with a rev 3 ASIC chip which prevents the use of dual cpus.

more info (and an easy way to check) HERE. this document (pdf) is from sonnet, but the problem with chip revs would prevent you from using an oem dual as well. test first, buy later!

best of luck.

6. MacVidCards Suspended

You would also need the dual CPU heatsink, as it was different from single.

7. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Its very unlikely. No 350 and very few 400mhz models had the correct hardware to be dual compatible.

8. Billydelp4 macrumors regular

I had an AGP graphics from back in the day, which was a stock 400mhz. I swapped it out for a dual processor from sonnet. Maybe I was a lucky one, though.