Will a External DVD Drive be quicker than the internal drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrHyde85, Oct 25, 2010.

1. MrHyde85 macrumors member

I am considering buying an external Dvd Drive they all seem to have a max speed of 8x, as does my macbook pro drive.

I am currently in the process of ripping my dvd collection would I benefit from this? I assume I would save the internal drive a lot of wear and tear this way, but my need is for the increase in speed.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While the speed of an external drive may be faster than your internal drive, transferring data via USB or Firewire will make it slower.

3. pricej636 macrumors 6502

No reason to think an external drive would be any faster.

4. lickitysplit macrumors regular

No there will be no speed bump unless you buy the desktop equivilent which would be 22x(usually)for dvds.

5. sup3r1or macrumors regular

It depends, if Im not mistaken USB 2.0 speed is 100 MB/sec but that is not stable, so it depends on what speed is external drive is, it will hit the cap by USB.

6. LoganT macrumors 68020

USB 2.0 is actually 480 MB/sec, but that's burst speed.

7. bmb012 macrumors 6502

I've used an external USB drive, and yes, they're much faster at burning and reading. At least, it was that way with my 1.67 Powerbook, don't know how much faster the newer laptops are. Don't have a disk to throw in and check...

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Actually, USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps.

9. bigjobby macrumors 65816

... = 60MB/s.

One can also roughly halve that number just to accommodate the protocol overheads. Plenty of data available on the www for anyone who feels like doing the research. ;)

Now going back to the topic of the thread. If the OP's MBP still has plenty of life in its warranty, why not just use the internal drive?