will a faster processor boost internet speed on my G4??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by parmaniac, Mar 24, 2009.

1. parmaniac macrumors newbie

hey y'all. New to the Mac world here,and really diggin my G4,which I got for free.But I need help with a frustrating situation. Here's the specs: Powermac Gigabit Ethernet dual 500 mHz G4,40 GB primary and 160 GB slave HDs,2 GB RAM,and a fresh install of Tiger with almost nothing downloaded,basically,a brand new machine. The issue: both firefox and Safari are sludgy on internet speed--watching Youtube videos,using Facebook,etc. It's not an ish with my router or modem--my older PC's blaze. it's really frustrating,and I've maxed out the RAM,so I want to know if an upgrade to a 1.8 or 2.0 processor will alleviate this problem once and for all,or if I have a boat anchor. Honestly,I don't do hardcore computing,just burn DVDs,a little photoshop,and play on the internet. There's no reason it should be so damn sluggish watchibng streaming video or simply writing on someone's 'wall' on Facebook. PLEASE ADVISE. much appreesh.
    tony
    clevoripper@yahoo.com

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

Not sure what you expect.... 500Mhz is really slow.

3. parmaniac thread starter macrumors newbie

just want web pages such as Youtube,etc to load as fast as they do on my PC. Trying to determine whether I should get a video card or processor upgrade...thanks!

4. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Its 100% your CPU which is holding you back. Flash video's (and flash in general) is very CPU intensive. While a 2.0ghz upgrade will certainly allow you to view webpages smoothly, its questionable whether its worth the price of the upgrade in such an old machine. You might be better off saving your cash and getting a mini instead which will easily be 4x faster than even the 2.0ghz G4 upgrade.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Correct. Even modern Macs have trouble with flash videos, so it may not be worth the upgrade if that's your intended use for the machine.

However, if flash isn't really that important, the upgrade should be a nice speed boost. :)

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

How much more do you plan to spend?

When comparing an expensive upgrade to this machine to that of a refurb Mini between $425-475 or a current generation machine for slightly more -- upgrading that machine for the same price won't really increase the speed of internet switching as much as switching to Intel does.

7. parmaniac thread starter macrumors newbie

god d@#$ it. I was hoping to dump a couple hundy into it and have a sweet mac for the first time in my life but i can see it's turning into a High Mass. Are those minis upgradable on memory and hard drives? can I run windows on those?
    and hey,thanks for your advice.

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yes, yes and yes. The mini is a great machine. :) Didn't have a problem with mine the whole time I had it.

9. parmaniac thread starter macrumors newbie

do they have a DVD burner,if not,can I install one? thanks!!

10. Jpoon macrumors 6502