Will a free os upgrade be likely?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JBot, May 23, 2007.

1. JBot macrumors 6502

I have the powerbook g4 currently, but i want to upgrade to the intel macbook pro series for next semester (september). Since im in comp sci, its kind of vital for me to have a computer on me at all times.... not as much for school work but much more for the looks...
    Im going to wait out until august and hopefully see the brighter screens put on the macbook pros by that time, but it is known that leopard wont be released until october. My question is, and those that have been around since before os x was released could answer, do they give deals out for newly purchased computers, for a cheap/free os upgrade? I want to run the latest, see what its about, but holding out until october seems next to impossible.

2. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

No. Unless you buy it within about 30 days of its actual release, you'll have to pay. The GOOD news is that with the Edu discount, Leopard will probably only be $70.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

No they won't... and...

It's vital to have your computer with you at all times, but only to look cool? :confused:

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Do not underestimate the importance of appearances. ;)

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's important... but vital? I guess everybody has their own priorities.

7. yagran macrumors 6502a

30 day rule. similar to 30 second rule, but 30 days lol

8. JBot thread starter macrumors 6502

i have a see-through backpack that shows off my machine everywhere i go. use my usb mighty mouse as a belt, and carry around a keyboard, just so everyone notices me.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

All you have to do is duct tape some track balls to your feet and you can skate around.

There is no "hard and fast" 30 day rule on getting OS upgrades for free by the way. Just so you don't depend on it. Usually you can count on a few weeks prior but sometimes that's not even safe.

10. fall3n macrumors 6502

When I used to work slinging Macs, if you bought it within 30 days of the new OS coming out you'd get a free upgrade. You'd send in your receipt as POP along with a form and 10 bux to pay for shipping and they'd send you the new OS.

11. afbuckeye macrumors member

lol... i hope you aren't serious... if you are, i'm sorry thats just ridiculous

12. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

If by likely you mean impossible then yes :).

After the edu discount Leopard will be very reasonable.

13. dukebound85, May 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2011

dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

haha it is hard to tell

buuut no it will cost money for upgrade

14. alwaysaangel macrumors regular

I'm assuming you're kidding. But if you went to school where I did you would get jumped so fast and would no longer have a computer.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

At a university? That's rough.

16. Spizzo macrumors 6502

All this time I've had to keep hitchin' up my pants when the answer was right in front of me....:rolleyes:

17. alwaysaangel macrumors regular

UC Berkeley. For the most part you're fine but muggings and stuff happens. And anyone walking around showing off their 2000 dollar computer couldn't really be surprised when someone rips it off their back and runs.

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well it's a good thing I don't have a clear bag:p

19. tango554 macrumors member

Since you're a student, consider joining Apple Developers Connection. You'll get a bigger than student discount on the computer and you'll probably get a free copy of leopard, shortly after it's released.

Go here: http://developer.apple.com/products/

20. janey macrumors 603

janey

you definitely get a copy of leopard for free, if they also don't mail you the PPC copy of Tiger as well :rolleyes: ...$69 edu pricing for the OS vs. free with the $99 ADC membership that gives you massive hardware discounts if you purchase from the online ADC store (one time only).

21. georgeoommen macrumors regular

iLife '07 with Leopard

Hi guys,

I'm planning to buy the macbook now and then get Leopard when it comes out in oct or maybe wait for a couple of updates before upgrading to Leopard. My question though is, about iLife 07. Would I have to buy iLife 07 separately or would that be included in Leopard? Since i'm not a student, thats potentially another £150 to add to the cost of the comp. If Apple does have the free-upgrade-to-Leopard-if-mac-bought-within-30-days-of-release offer, is there any chance this would include upgrade ot iLife 07 as well?

22. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

You need a computer on you all the time?

Can I recommend an XServe supercomputer? :p

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

NO 30-DAY RULE

The up-to-date program only works on machines purchase AFTER the announcement of the actual new OS shipping date.

We got info on a new, and an estimated quarter when it'll ship -- but no announced ship date yet.

Buy the day before Apple says it is shipping, and you pay full price.

Buy the day Apple makes the announcement (or about 60-90days after) and it is $9.95 or $19.95 for all new machines sold without the new OS, more likely $19.95 with the increases in shipping since the last OS release.

24. robk macrumors member

Maybe best waiting till the official announcement then... maybe July, August?

25. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Buy through student developer program. You will save about $200 more then educational pricing, and you will get Leopard for free most likely within a month after its release.