Will a G4 PB allow access to OS9

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Patth9, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Patth9 macrumors regular

Patth9

My Power G4 table top Mac is eyeing the closet more and more. (dying) There are two programs that I still use, one from OS9 and one from Tiger via OS9. In other other words, the second program mention started in OS9 on a G3 and was then upgraded when I bought a G4 using OS 10.

I know nothing about the Power G4 Power Books. Since I don't need to access the internet, I was thinking of a Power Book to do the job. I will have to have OS9 in order to install the two programs which I still have. I also have OS9 and updates.

I hope this is not too confusing.

Patt

2. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Depending, some later PowerBooks (I believe) do not have the ability to boot into OS 9. Any Titanium PowerBook will boot into OS 9, providing you have the correct install.
    But, you can run OS 9 'on top' of OS X, which is really convenient and removes the step of booting into OS 9. Ideally, a 1GHz Titanium PowerBook would be the best.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'll just state a few things since your post is kind of confusing. In making these statements, hopefully it will answer any questions you have.

The PowerBook G4 Titanium models (those with the black keys and the two-tone silver color) are capable of booting into OS9.
    The PowerBook G4 Aluminum models (those with the silver keys and silver color) are NOT capable of booting into OS9.

OS9 apps can be used in OS X 10.4.11 and below through Classic. OS9 apps CANNOT be used in OS X 10.5.x.

Apple announced the death of OS9 with the release of OS X 10.4, although they did not prevent it's functioning on Tiger.

If you wish to use OS9 on a PowerBook Titanium you can boot from the disk and install. If you wish to use OS9 on an aluminum PowerBook you will need to have a complete OS9 install moved over from another place on to the PowerBook as there is no way for the Mac to boot from an OS9 install disk.

Does any of this help you?

4. Patth9 thread starter macrumors regular

Patth9

This is where I messed up. I don't need to boot "into" 09, only need to be able to access via Tiger the way I do now. What you said here is what I am doing now, and this if just fine, running classic on top of Tiger. I actually have a Titanium PowerBook which I bought a long time ago, but it needs work. The screen no longer books up, it only shows a gray screen. Now to find someone who works on the older Macs. The places that sell them, don't fix the old ones.

Thank you. 128keaton, for helping me figure this out..

Patt

5. Patth9 thread starter macrumors regular

Patth9

Thank you, eyoungren, for your input. I don't get to talk computers with anyone, so my lingo is often miss leading. However, what you have shared is much appreciated.

Patt

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Hello Patt,

When simply using OS 9 apps and programs under OS X you are using something called Classic. You do not need to have an OS 9 capable computer to use Classic mode. Any aluminum PowerBook G4 is capable of running OS X Tiger and will run Classic just fine, as well as being cheaper than a TiBook! If I were you, I would look for a 15" or 17" 1.5 or 1.67 GHz model so you get a decent CPU and backlit keyboard.