Will a Genius take me seriously?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtfield, Jun 8, 2009.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    I've had a 3G since launch, love the thing... but I had to get it replaced a few months ago due to a speaker issue. After about 2 months I started to notice, once I took off the screen protector, that a ton of dust had gathered under the screen. I've heard about this issue from many others on the board as well... anyway I put off taking it in for a while, but today when I was on it I got bumped into and it fell and the bottom left of the screen (about the bottom left 1/4th) cracked on the cement :( Now I'm afraid to take it into the apple store, because I'm worried that they will just discount me completely because of the crack.. even though most of the dust is on the right half of the screen. I wanted to hear from if there are any geniuses out there who would weigh in for me. Just pretty unfortunate timing. The phone still works fine and all.. no problem from the screen, but would you take me seriously or just pass me off? I'd be going to the chicago michigan ave. store if that helps at all... the reason I'm concerned is that I'm in tech support as well and fully aware of how users like to spin thing for their benefit. but anyway any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. I'm not going to lie and say that i don't like the idea of getting the screen replaced.. even though it is my fault, but I still feel that I had a legit complaint before this even happened... thanks for the help!
    If you guys confirm my fear I will probably just spend the $50-60 and attempt to replace the screen myself... has anyone successfully done this? haha Oh and by the way... a while back I voted in a poll that I preferred my phone "naked" never again... haha :-/

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Once they see the crack, your warranty is toast. They will not replace it period.

3. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

4. SAG3194 macrumors 6502

SAG3194

Drop it into the toilet and replace it for water damage!

;)

5. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm.. as I feared.. thanks guys for the input.. looks like I will take the shot at replacing it myself:eek:

6. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

I considered it ;) haha if my repair attempt goes south... pool here I come!

7. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

a single crack? I've had 2 replaced for that, no charge.

8. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

I wish... the bottom right spiderwebbed

9. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

surely it won't hurt to go in and ask for a replacement and if they say no just walk away and fix it yourself??

10. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

A crack in the screen, doubt it!