Will a i5 Macbook Pro be enough for a professional video editor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by paulyd0021, Jan 14, 2010.

1. paulyd0021 macrumors newbie

I'm aspiring to be a professional video editor and I'm looking to purchase a Mac of some sort to run Final Cut Pro on. My question is, will the new i5 Macbook Pros have enough processing power to edit full length HD films and multi cams, etc? Does anyone have experience on previous MBPs doing film editing with a Core 2 duo? If the MBP with a dual core i5 wont be enough, I might opt to purchase a new iMac with the quad core i5. Any info from you guys would be great, thanks!

2. Stepint0sh macrumors member

You haven't really looked up any information yourself have you? I suggest you buy a Mac Pro and max out everything just to be sure!:rolleyes:

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, but you will need additional hardware to properly process the vast amount of uncompressed footage.

MRoolge might give you some advice on that.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Straight editing won't be a problem as long as you have FW800 external drive and lots of RAM. However, you might find issue with the video card if you intend to do any work with Motion or other apps that heavily rely on Core Video.

If you don't need the portability then you'll be better off w/ a MP. Load up the RAM, put in a decent vid card and HDs -- suggest a Drobo too for backup. Now you've got a great production machine.

5. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

6. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I edit 3-cam multicam XDCAM HD, as well as 30-60 minute documentaries and shows on my MBP without a problem.

7. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Yesterday there was one announced, for a little while at least:D

8. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

i saw the "announcement" too ;)

but i think everyone should calm down until it really happens. :D