Will a IGZO Display Really Save Battery Life despite increase in resolution?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starfyre, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

Current rMBPs have 2880, but will a IGZO display with a bigger resolution 3000+ really deliver battery life savings despite increase in effort for the graphics card and processor to handle the increased number of pixels? If in 2014, the 4K sharp display were to be fitted into the rMBP... is there any evidence that shows that the battery life savings of the 4K would actually be more than the existing rMBP non-IGZO display?

Would be interested in seeing how battery life compares with the standard displays despite increases in pixels.

2. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

that depends on a lot of things

how much is the actual stress of the system given the increased resolution

who can say which resolution they will actually

how much does the current panel consumes compared to the iGZO panel of the same resolution

I can say that compared to the power usage of the currently released IGZO machines the higher resolution didnt affect the battery life compared to a similar 1080p panel, meaning that if one would build a panel of the same resolution using the same tech as that 1080p TN panel, one would find that it consumes probably more

3. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

No one's said that 4K displays are coming in 2014 rMBPs. In fact I sure hope they won't, because a 4K display in the 15" rMBP is equivalent to running in 1920x1200 scaled mode now, meaning very small user interfaces (too small for many users normally).

The rumor is simply that Apple may start using IGZO panels, nothing has been said about the resolutions involved. They could use IGZO panels with the exact same resolutions as the current panels, or they could upgrade to the doubled versions of the "high res" displays previously offered on MBPs (so 2*(1440x900) goes to the 13" and the 15" gets 2*(1650x1050)).

Anyway, just hypothetically we'll say there's a 4K rMBP with IGZO (maybe it's a 17", or maybe the next OS X version will address UI scaling to compensate for the tiny interface problem). 3840x2400 panel. We can get some idea of the power usage by looking at the 1920x1200 scaled resolution currently offered, as this already works like retina would on a 3840x2400 panel. So what you need is for someone to run a standardized battery life test at "normal" retina resolution and then again at 1920x1200 and see how much battery life you'd lose. Compare this against the expected IGZO battery life gain.

The test would need to be some kind of web browsing test most likely, as you'll want plenty of web rendering and scrolling to actually involve the OS's animation code. Anything without significant scrolling won't actually tell you anything about power consumption due to animation rendering.

4. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

you are basically proposing a test to see how much more cpu and gpu cycles the added scaling requires

5. theromz macrumors regular

I think that 1200p at 15" is just fine, and they can always offer the lower res like they do on the current rmbp. I personally would love it and the pro is meant to be a professional machine.

6. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

depends on your definition of professional and I know a lot of people that would actually be bothered by such a high res display, actually a lot of those make up for the current majority of the workforce that would buy this kind of notebook, i.e. high paid individuals in the 40 range.

not saying that I wouldnt want it

still there is no feasible way to test with the hardware that we have available from apple or in the future. what we can do test is in windows with different panels with different resolutions. the best bet is the xps 15, but you are not going to test the total battery life, since I think they are going to put the higher wattage one in the IGZO models, you can test the power consumption of the device