Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazymeeshu

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2015
West Virginia
I have both the Apple Leather Case and Magpul Field case for my iPhone 6. When I get the new iPhone 6s, will my cases fit on the new phone?

Apple's site says the 6s is 7.1mm thick compared to the 6.9mm 6.

They're selling new leather cases (in the new colors) that are stated to fit the 6s and the 6. Will the OLD leather cases also fit both? I can't find the old case model number on the Apple site anymore to check.

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
From Apple's website you can see the 6s case is compatible with the 6.

So it's a matter of comparing the new (?) dimensions to see if your older case is compatible too.

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
All of our cases will fit just fine. One of the nice things about Apple is that their form factor stays virtually the same from initial model to S version. The 4 to 4s had a pretty big swing on the mute switch, but since then, no prob :)

koulmj

Suspended
Mar 18, 2013
All of our cases will fit just fine. One of the nice things about Apple is that their form factor stays virtually the same from initial model to S version. The 4 to 4s had a pretty big swing on the mute switch, but since then, no prob :)

You would think that something like an otter box that can be dropped 2 stories and still keep the phone intact would need to be designed with more precision, but 1mm wider and 2mm thicker of whatever apparently won't make a difference.

The Toddler

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
iPhone users, myself included, can be meticulous. I would guess there will be many people who will be able to detect the difference in fit. The question is: are most manufacturers (Apple included) selling the same cases they made for the 6, which might make them too tight on the 6s, or are they being slightly tweaked for the 6s so that the 6 will be just a hair (literally) loose?

Last edited:

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2006
Anyone know if the Lifeproof cases for the 6 will fit on the 6s? I'm looking to upgrade, but need to know if I'm going to have to buy a new case.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
It probably just depends on the type of case. I'm skeptical about Speck cases because they fit so darn tightly to begin with. But for rubberized cases, there's probably enough flexibility to fit. I think we'll see more issues than people expect. I'm just going to wait a week or after I get mine before I buy any cases.

Reactions: The Toddler

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
It probably just depends on the type of case. I'm skeptical about Speck cases because they fit so darn tightly to begin with. But for rubberized cases, there's probably enough flexibility to fit. I think we'll see more issues than people expect. I'm just going to wait a week or after I get mine before I buy any cases.
And ironically Speck was the one company stating their cases would be supported. But I have never used one, so no opinion on the subject.

(as a sidenote, Incipio and UAG state their cases are compatible as well)

andrewsjra

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
I spoke to a Apple representative and they informed me my Apple silicon case will fit a new 6S. I too was weary at first due to the slight increase in dimensions. Glad to know I don't need to drop another $40 on a case.

Allin44

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2014
Magpul said their cases won't fit the new models, but I'm using a field case on my 6S+ and it fits perfectly like a glove. No need to worry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.