iPad Will a jailbroken iPad 2's glass break in cold temperatures?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nicky Houghes, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Nicky Houghes macrumors newbie

I use a jailbroken iPad 2, and am curious whether it will harm the battery or break the glass on the screen. The battery has been fairly consistent on heavy usage, though the heat is a major factor. I thought keeping the device in the fridge actually conserves battery life. Do I store it in cooler conditions or play it regularly? (the optimal fridge temperature is about 37 degrees)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Whether it's jailbroken or not has no bearing on the physical characteristics of the iPad. Do not put electronics in a fridge or freezer, as it could cause condensation damage when you take it out. Just use it normally and be mindful of the operating environment limits posted by Apple in the specs.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Cold temperatures won't harm the glass. But they may cause the LCD screen to respond slowly and the touch panel to get a bit strange. However, when warmed up it will all start working again correctly. Lithium batteries don't like to be cold. It causes them to loose their charge. They work best at room temperatures.

4. Nicky Houghes thread starter macrumors newbie

Although the heat may degrade the battery overtime, I'll try to plan it regularly. Thanks!

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Heat that will harm it would be in the range of 120F+ degrees. The iPad will go into overheat mode and disallow use if it would ever get that hot. Stop worrying about the battery. By the time the battery is dead, you'll have long thrown it out and forgotten about that iPad.

6. Nicky Houghes thread starter macrumors newbie

I expected the device to go into overheating mode at 104 degrees. Well, I'll stop worrying!

7. 617aircav Suspended

I live where the average winter temperature is -40 and never had any isssues.