Will a jailbroken US Iphone 4 fully function in Canada & continue to function in US?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ranthonyt, Jun 17, 2010.

1. ranthonyt macrumors newbie

I am from the US but live in Vancouver for grad school, so I travel back and forth between the two countries fairly regularly. I have an AT&T account and am eligible to upgrade to a 32 GB iPhone 4 for $299. If I buy one of the unlocked Canada models, it looks like it is going to be around $750 or more, according to estimates. I have never had a jailbroken phone (or participated in a forum such as this), and I have some questions. I would really appreciate any help anyone could offer.

1. I talked to Bell (my Canadian carrier) today. I asked them if I had an unlocked US iPhone 4 if I could get a mini SIM from them and everything work. The guy consulted his supervisor and told me that I can certainly get a mini SIM when they are available next month, but there is a chance that the data packages and features will not work.
    A) Is it a realistic possibility that the data package would not work or are they just covering themselves? How likely is it not to function?
    B) Is it a realistic possibility that features of the phone would not function? How likely is this?

2. Will my jailbroken iPhone 4 continue to function (and function properly) when I am in the US and have my AT&T mini SIM inserted?

3. I gather that different versions of the iPhone require different jailbreaking procedures/software. Will there likely be a jailbreak for the iPhone 4 in the near future?

5. Could my iPhone 4 become "bricked"?

6. Will Apple continue to guarantee the iPhone / honor Applecare if I unlock an AT&T iPhone 4?

7. Are there other factors that I have failed to mention that I should be considering?

Thank you tremendously for reading this post and for any guidance you could give on any or all of the questions above. :)

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

You will have to Unlock via software if you get it from AT&T. They will not do a factory unlock even if you buy it out right. So you will always have to be careful. if I were you I see about buying in Canada since it's my understanding you can buy factory unlocked there. which also will get you a higher resale when it comes time to upgrade again.

By the way Jailbreaking and Unlocking are two separate things Jailbreaking allows you two get 3rd party apps not in the App Store! Unlocking allows you to use your phone on different GSM carriers. if you were factory unlocked you wouldn't have to jailbreak unless you wanted to. if your not factory unlocked you have to jailbreak and then unlock, you must also learn not to accidentally upgrade your firmware.

3. parthc007 macrumors member

A) Is it a realistic possibility that the data package would not work or are they just covering themselves? How likely is it not to function?

If you manage to unlock it, it will work on bell including DATA so don't worry they are just covering their arses.

B) Is it a realistic possibility that features of the phone would not function? How likely is this?

Everything will function as long as you unlock your phone when the new unlock comes out (no one knows. But speculation is after iPhone 4 is released)

2. Will my jailbroken iPhone 4 continue to function (and function properly) when I am in the US and have my AT&T mini SIM inserted?

Yes, just make sure never to software update your iPhone through iTunes. as it will make you lose the unlock.

3. I gather that different versions of the iPhone require different jailbreaking procedures/software. Will there likely be a jailbreak for the iPhone 4 in the near future?
    Hopefully. Check after its out.

5. Could my iPhone 4 become "bricked"?
    If you are not a dumbass and as long as you dont update through itunes its nearly impossible to brick one.

6. Will Apple continue to guarantee the iPhone / honor Applecare if I unlock an AT&T iPhone 4?
    if you require warranty you will have to restore your phone. and then get it serviced. Once serviced, you can jailbreak again. However, depending on that time the phone may or may not be unlockable.