Will a JB iPhone 6 fetch significantly more than a stock one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Oct 9, 2017.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

I still have my Jailbroken 6 running 8.2 and am wanting to sell it. I know in the past I have read that jail broken phones typically have more value in resale than stock ones. Is this true, and if so how much more? I also have a jail broken 5S running 7 something and I'm just wondering if it's worth the hassle of figuring out how to wipe them clean without restoring to current iOS. Thanks!

2. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Nope, not in my opinion. I'd probably pay more for one not JailBroken.

3. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

I wouldn't buy a jail broken phone. It adds no real necessary functionality, and only provides potential problems as far as I'm concerned. I'd probably be less likely to buy it if I knew that it had ever been jail broken. I'd be wondering what potential glitches or problems might be there.

4. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

agreed.

5. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

Unlocked phones do. Jailbroken phones, no.

Most people don't even know what it means sadly.

6. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

And those that do would be wise to not purchase/use a phone with unknown third party software running on it. Massive security risk.

7. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Turn off Find My iPhone, then go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase all content and settings. That will wipe them clean without restoring to the current iOS. (You have jb phones and you don't know this?)

Selling an iPhone with an older version of iOS may have some value to some people, regardless of whether it's jailbroken. If you want to give it a try, put them on auction at a higher-than-normal price, and see what happens.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I rarely, if ever, come across somebody wanting to purchase a jailbroken iPhone. I'm not saying that somebody wouldn't want one, but for the majority, they have no idea with jailbroken is and/or why would they even want it in the first place. It would Have to be a specific person looking for something that understands The jailbreaking world.

9. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

Stock iOS will always be more valuable than jailbroken. Due to the fact there are collectors out there that like to have each iPhone on their original OS version.

Once jailbroken, it cannot be restored to stock iOS without moving to the latest that device supports.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

What you read is not true and can not imagine why anyone would buy a JB iPhone.

11. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

This is wrong, nobody on a jailbroken device should ever do that. NEVER !!

This will put the device in a bootloop and you will be forced to restore to the latest iOS which make the device lose value for someone that might be interested in jailbreaking.

OP, you should probably use Cydia Eraser, or I think just Eraser is the new name, which is a tweak from saurik that will wipe your device, unjailbreak it and keep the current version you are on. Although you might double check if it’s compatible with 8.2 because I’m not so sure about that, last time I used it was on 8.4.

12. edfoo macrumors 6502

Agree. I don't trust other people jailbreaking their iPhones. The only person I trust doing it is myself. So jailbroken phones are always worth less to me.

13. oplix Suspended

oplix

A jail broken phone could ONLY and OBJECTIVELY be worth more than a non jail broken one. This is because it can be updated and restored to new iOS but uses software which is no longer being signed.

How much more it’s worth is completely subjective however

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Most buyers would want nothing to do with a JB phone. I can not see it adding any value.

15. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

I'm not sure if anyone here is just guessing or actually has any experience with this…

But I have sold multiple jailbroken devices over the years and they always… Repeat always… Have fetched way more than you would imagine.

There are endless amounts of interesting use cases that people seem to want JB devices for.
    The only way you'll know is to list it.

16. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

JB phone are of interest to a select small minority.

Then you have the question of how well you can preserve the JB while wiping the iPhone.

Assuming you conquer that, then you have a crappy ip6 that was on a somewhat middlin' iOS 8.

When you look at all that, good luck selling your jail-broken ip6! But hey, list it and see.

17. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

It's a big world… You never know…
    OP: give it a shot

18. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I'd say though that if he was on iOS 9 JB ...that would be of more interest.

I'm staying w/9.0.2 JB...on a 6s. Only flaw with my phone is a a small spider-crack about 1/8" on the bottom right corner.

But I wouldn't sell it anyway. :)

19. solo118 macrumors 65816

Its a very niche product, I think if you have patience you can sell for a premium. You just have to decide if $50-100 is worth your time/effort.

I sold my 6S 64gb running 9.1 untethered JB within a couple of days of posting for about $400. The other 6S were going for $350 give or take. The buyer was absolutely gushing over it, as if it was some rare unicorn. I simply sold as I really did not use JB for anything but Pandora Skips which is useless as I primarily use Spotify now.

20. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

There was a time when a jailbroken phone could definitely fetch a higher price. But those days are seemingly long gone. This was back when the walled garden of Apple and iOS prohibited so many things, that jailbreaking was a very desirable feature. Slowly over each new OS release, Apple has made available much of what folks used to jailbreak for. There may still be that rare person looking for ultimate customization features but that seems to be a dying breed. Also, for the jailbreak to have value even back in the day, the latest OS needed to 'not' have a current jailbreak option. Otherwise, a person could just buy a regular phone and jailbreak it themselves.

21. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

But there is no Jailbreak for the latest iOS

22. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

Correct but much of what users used to jailbreak in order to get is now available in iOS 9,10,11,etc. I would still call out that it is jail broken and list at a higher price. You may find that person who still wants what you have. You’ve got nothing to lose. Good luck!

23. Givmeabrek, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Actually the average person would not understand or want a Jailbroken phone and would pass on it immediately. I know I would. It would be harder to find a buyer.

24. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

Maybe. But I’m somewhat active on Swappa and there are people who comment all of the time asking what version of iOS a phone is running. An assumption could be made that they are looking to JB. If the OP lists it as JB and it doesn’t sell he/she can always revise the listing.