All iPads Will a larger iPhone next year affect your Mini/Air decision this year?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by urkel, Nov 13, 2013.

1. urkel, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

urkel macrumors 68030

I intended on getting the Retina Mini because I prefer carrying a smaller device around. But one thing that convinced me to keep the Air instead is the iPhone 6.

The entire reason I want a tablet is because the iPhone is too small for extended use (reading, lounging, typing etc) so owning both an iPhone and iPad makes sense since they are the answer to portability vs comfort. But what happens when a large iPhone comes out?

For me, If a large iPhone comes out I dont think I'd ever take an iPad Mini with me anymore so buying an iPad Air makes more long term sense. I'd have the big iPhone for mobility and the large iPad for lounging.

How about anyone else. Are you factoring in next years iPhone into your iPad purchase decision? How Much Will You Use a Mini if a Big iPhone Comes Out

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Seeing how the Note (1, 2 and 3) have altered some people's tablet choices, i.e., using the Note as a phone and tablet replacement. I can see a larger iPhone doing something similar.

For me, I'd say no, while I'd like a larger iPhone, my iPad serves a different purpose and I'd still use an iPad mini if there was a larger iPhone

3. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

How about Apple just add calling feature to the iOS cellular models and let people have once device for all of their life. LMAO!

4. Speedy Gonzalez macrumors regular

at least for me having a note 3 doesn't affect my tablet needs yes is ok to watch movies on the phone play some games but when it comes to browsing the web no.

5. javisan macrumors regular

I had exactly the same reasoning. But ever since the iPad Air came out, it was clear to me that the device to get was the Air. I now have no doubt that the 2014 iPhone will have a screen of at least 4.7 inches. With an iPhone of that size, I would have absolutely no need for the iPad Mini.

The Air, with its new form factor, 9.7 inch screen and weight, is the perfect iPad for me (long term) and fits right in the middle of an iPhone 6 with 4.7 - 5 inches and my 13 inch MacBook Air.

6. urkel, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

urkel thread starter macrumors 68030

I know you're joking, but why wouldnt Apple just enable a cellular iPad? Aesthetically it would be ridiculous but so was iPad cameras 3 years ago yet look at how many people do it anyway. So if someone wants to keep their iPad in a bag and use a Siri enabled bluetooth headset (or an iWatch!!!) then why not?

[I guess the answer is: "Because convergence hurts profits". But still, an iPad phone may not be as big a joke as we may think.]

7. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Samsung has learned it can also help profits...when done correctly. Msfts convergence the Surface is the example of convergence done wrong.

Id use my Apple head phones for phone calls.

8. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

For me yes, that's why I went with the air.
    Currently use a 5" phone

9. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

I already prefer the Air because of a substantially bigger screen. If next year's iPhone is a bit bigger then I really don't have a reason to get the mini

10. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

I'd do an iPad phone and an iWatch in a second! That's my dream combo. I'd want the iWatch to have a longer tether than the samsung note watch thing but I'd be into to it.

11. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

12. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

And that is why I have a Note 3 and Air :)

The Note 3 or N3 is a beast of a device!! ( not that anyone on MR cares but just wanted to say it anyway lol )

13. zbarvian macrumors 68010

14. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Why would it alter, the iPhone 6 is not going to be that big but many of the Apple diehards are going to have to get used to the fact that Apple is going to do a LARGER phone and not just longer.

15. urkel thread starter macrumors 68030

The world has already turned the corner when it comes to larger phones so the widespread dismissal of "bigger is better" in the Apple community is purely based on the fact that "it's not an option yet and therefore we hate it" (like the flip-flopping we've historically seen with the iPad Mini, USB3, plastic iPhone and thinner MBP)

But the fact is that a bigger iPhone OPTION in inevitable WHEN iPhone users start carrying around larger iPhones then it's reasonable for their Mini workflow to be altered or eliminated.

16. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Interesting how many want a larger iPhone yet a smaller iPad.

17. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Imagine having an 8" phone. That's not exactly small...

18. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I think some are overlooking how many do not want a larger iphone. At one point I was sure I wanted one and was sad when the 4 did not get larger. But, after holding some larger ones, I want to keep my current size iphone, as many will.

Hence, I still need/want an ipad for other uses.

19. urkel thread starter macrumors 68030

Actually, that is missing the point. In 2012/2013 then the demand for a smaller iPad is directly a result of the fact that a larger iPhone doesnt exist. But IF a larger iPhone comes out then the two products would be redundant and a user might be better off with a Large iPhone (for mobile) + Large iPad (for home/travel).

20. mariotr87 macrumors regular

Why are we comparing 4.7'' vs 7.9'' anyway? There's quite a difference there. If the iPhone gets bigger it'll be more usable as a phone, and it'll be less of a pain to browse with. That's it, the iPad Mini still has a much nicer size for browsing, watching movies, reading, producing in general and gaming.

21. urkel thread starter macrumors 68030

The funny thing about the internet is that people go around documenting their strong opinions against things like SSD, the loss of optical drives, Smaller iPads or White Apple products and arguing that the product they have today is "perfect". But fast forward to now and these same people are still arguing but are now on the other side.

You are claiming that you (and "many" others) don't want a larger iPhone, but bookmark all the threads where people say that and in two years you'll be reading the post on the very product you denounce.

22. lolwatpear macrumors member

It's funny i keep seeing people trying to justify their air purchases all the time on this forum. We get it, you have buyer's remorse. I have the lg g2 and will still get the mini for it's 4:3 screen and superior form factor.

23. THFourteen macrumors 6502

No.

I have a Galaxy S3 and its painful to use for anything that requires reading like surfing or magazines.

I had a Galaxy Note too, and it was too big for a phone.

I like having a 4-5" phone and a 8" tablet. its a good combo