Will a Logitech USB keyboard work on my MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jon08, Jun 11, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

I'm planning on getting a Logitech Alto Express stand for my MBP, and will thus need an external keyboard. Since I'm staying where I am for only about 8 months till leaving to study abroad for a while, I thought it would be unreasonable to buy a more expensive keyboard. Therefore, I decided to get a very basic, inexpensive Logitech USB keyboard.

My only concern is, will it work on MBP even though it doesn't say it's Mac compatible?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah most usb mices or keyboards work with apple machines.

3. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

Yeah, it will. Logitech even has their own software for their mice and keyboards (Logitech control center).

4. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Even Microsoft stuff works with Macs - pretty well actually! :D

5. Biolizard macrumors 6502

Should work, although I've heard that their drivers aren't amazing. I'm not sure though and recommend you research beforehand.

I'm using a Microsoft KB and Mouse and, whatever you think of their software, their hardware division knows how to make good kit. The drivers and Sys Pref panels are also surprisingly good. Can't fault it and would encourage you to consider M$.

Edit: That read like an advert, heh. I don't own shares in Microsoft or anything, I just really like their keyboards and mice!

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There is a chance special buttons may not function without downloading drivers that may or may not be available for OSX.

7. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys. But are drivers available for any Logitech keyboard?

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

That's something u need to do some researching on.

9. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Umm, I did some research on Logitech "Downloads" site, and apparently there's very FEW Logitech keyboards that will actually work on Macs. And besides, the ones that will actually work on Mac seem to be pretty expensive.

So from what I've found only these will work:

- Elite™ Keyboard
    - G11 Keyboard
    - G15 Gaming Keyboard (Blue Backlight)
    - G15
    - Wave Keyboard™
    - diNovo Keyboard Mac® Edition

I was looking for an inexpensive keyboard for temporary use, but it seems I'll be better off just getting an Apple keyboard instead of the above-mentioned ones, and still save some money.......

10. janstett macrumors 65816

I use a variety of PC keyboards on Macs. In fact I'm using a Microsoft Natural keyboard on my Mac now.

[​IMG]

The Windows key gets mapped to the Apple/command key, so you have to get used to the alt/apple-windows key placement being different in Apple and Windows layouts. My volume up/down/mute keys work but most of the other special keys don't. However, I just discovered that IntelliType exists for OSX, I'll try that out and update...

Microsoft IntelliType for OSX

EDIT: It works so now all the special doo-dads on the keyboard work, but it also installs mouse control which is overriding SteerMouse... I'm using a Logitech G5 mouse btw...

I too like MS's ergonomic keyboards, but I'm starting to get nostalgic for the old physical switch and buckling spring keyboards. I actually wore out my last MS natural keyboard (damned rubber dome technology). I wish I could get an ergonomic MS keyboard with at least Cherry/Alps mechanical switches but I love the buckling springs of the old IBM keyboards.

The problem with picking up a model M (they can be had on eBay for cheap and still work great after 20 years) is the lack of an Apple/Windows key... I'm trying to figure out how to remap that to another key. Another solution is some Model M and their descendants have the Windows/Apple key but they are a slight quality drop over the early IBM keyboards but still awesome.

[​IMG]

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No, the reality is most of them work on Macs they just don't advertise it. Most USB keyboard will work.

12. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

^^ Well I tried one today in-store and it didn't work on Mac. Also, they provided no drivers nothing for that Keyboard on the Logitech's "Downloads" site. So I guess it's safe to assume only the ones for which they do offer drivers on Logitech's site will actually work on a Mac. That being said, we're back to the list I posted above.

13. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

14. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

This cheap $12 logitech Classic 200 USB keyboard is connected to my UMBP right now.

That's the one, I got mine Saturday.

One thing I noticed is the need for an illuminated external USB keyboard and the shortage of USB ports on this UMBP is driving me nuts. I need to buy a little USB AC adapter for my USB hub. My UMBP isn't putting out enough juice.

Cheers,

15. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816