Will a Mac Book (13) fit my needs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RussW210, Feb 16, 2010.

1. RussW210 macrumors newbie

I have been a PC owner my whole life. Windows Vista frustrated me with its clutter so I installed Ubuntu Linux on my Dell Desktop. Linux is nice and fit most of my needs but has a bit of a learning curve.

My current laptop however is a Thinkpad from 2004 running on a slow Pentium Mobile Processor, extremely limited hard drive space, and Windows XP. Booting up takes forever and it runs slow. Time for an upgrade.

Here is what I am looking for. Please give your opinion on whether I would be better suited for a Mac Book or Dell/HP Laptop with Windows 7. Obviously I expect a little bias but I do need some convincing considering the Mac Book will cost me about $300-600 more:

- Video editing (Hava HD Platinum/Titanium compatible?)
    - iTunes
    - Email

Compatibility is a big issue with me. Is there still a ton that the mac is not compatible with? Why should I buy a mac?

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Since compatibility is a big issue for you, list all of your most used apps.

3. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

Have you tried uncluttering your thinkpad, maybe re-installing the OS? sometimes the registry and such in windows PC's get filled with a bunch of stuff which slows everything down.

I used a pentium II compaq laptop with a 4 GB HDD for a few months during college and had no issue with it. This was with a brand new install of XP. Also, every summer I reinstalled the OS on my desktop. This may have been a bit excessive, but windows always worked much smoother after.

4. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

The 13" MBP works. Also, I suggest adding 4GB of RAM and a 500GB hdd. While you can use bootcamp to run windows to meet your compatibility issues, what are the applications you're afraid won't work on a Mac?

Habitus :apple:

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

you have to ask yourself if the extra money is worth it for you. You know your way around windows. I will tell you right now that iTunes is a different program running on a Mac. I never really used it on a PC, but it doesn't play nice with windows.

You can always run Windows on a Mac as well. As far as durability, you have the answer to your question. You have a PC that has lasted 6 years. My buddy has an iBook from 2003, so it just comes down to how well you take care of your gear..