Will a MacBook Air complete the package for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mojer, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Mojer macrumors member

I have a PC that is in need of replacing. I recently purchased an IPad 2 and really like it. I now hardly use my PC. However there are times when I need to use a laptop. I am considering making the jump from a PC to a MacBook Air. I would mostly use the Air for MS Office, Internet, email, Facetime and uploading photos (some minor editing). I really like the IPad, but I need some type of laptop to complement it. Is it likely that the Air would suit my needs? Should i be looking at the MBP? Thanks for any imput.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Either model of the Air seems like it'd be good for you, just beware that MS Office isn't fully compatible with Lion yet and won't be for probably several months.

3. Mojer thread starter macrumors member

Maybe iWork then provided I can save it as a .doc file?

4. MilkMan4 macrumors regular

why isn't i?
    what problems does it have currently??

5. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

6. MilkMan4 macrumors regular

7. KPOM macrumors G5

Office 2011 works fine in Lion apart from a few minor bugs that Microsoft is fixing. What won't come for several months is full integration with Lion's new full screen mode or auto-resume function. However, that won't prevent the OP from writing .doc files or using Microsoft's own auto-save function. I wouldn't let this delay the purchase of an Air or Microsoft Office 2011 if that's what you need.

8. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

I NEED ms office as I work in a financial setting and all my clients use it, but I haven't seen any problems. The full screen and versions and so on don't work yet, but other than a few minor glitches office for mac works quite nice!

OP, the 11" will do nicely, the 13" will give a bit more screen and the sdcard slot. If you choose the 11", don't pick the 2gb version, take the 4gb.

9. Mojer thread starter macrumors member

Anyone think I should take a look at the MBP or is that overkill for my needs?

10. KPOM macrumors G5

Either the MacBook Pro or the MacBook Air would be fine for what you are using it for. The new i5 or i7 Airs can easily handle Office and minor photo editing.

11. Mhotep macrumors member

MBP is overkill. Get the MBA, I got the MBA 11 and love it. Very mobile and powerful.

12. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

If you already have a PC then clearly you dont need to be mobile.

I would recommend the Mac mini - its got everything you need.

If you intent on getting a laptop I would recommend the MBA 11" and hook it up to the screen from your old PC.