Will a MacBook Pro 18.4"-19" be released?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleWorking, Jan 20, 2009.

1. AppleWorking macrumors regular

Does anyone have an idea if Apple will ship a 18.4" or 19" MacBook Pro later this year? Let's say somewhere between six months to a year from now? The reason is because of my work I need a larger size. But if no one thinks they will release a larger size in a year, I'm just going to buy a 17" now.

2. tecknical macrumors regular

buy a 15 and get an external monitor?

3. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I haven't heard of any rumor mentioning. I'd say chances are slim at best.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Extremely unlikely, since they only recently introduced the 24" LED Cinema Display as being made precisely for a MacBook. That's obviously their recommended solution for those who need more screen real estate.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Seriously. When you get past 17 inches, you really aren't talking about portability any more. Even if some 19-inch MBP was developed, it would probably start at $3200+ given the pricing of the others.

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It's unlikely, I would say.

Just as a guess, I'd say that the economy here is probably a large factor in preventing this, as it would probably cost near $3000, and most people just don't have that kind of money for a slightly larger screen and slightly better specs. I'm not saying there isn't a market for it, it's just that that market is a little too small to enter at this time.

7. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

The only people who know what Apple is going to be releasing in the future are those folks who work in R&D at Apple. They are all under NDA and sure as he11 aren't going to be on here answering your question. So, your guess is the same as anyone who posts here.

That being said... it would make no sense to release a laptop with a screen bigger than the 17". It would be such a niche market that there wouldn't be enough profit to warrant it. If anything, Apple is shrinking their product line, not expanding it.

8. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

I'm guessing probably not. Imagine carrying one of those beasts around! I'm not one to ever complain about weight, but the physical space a 18.4"-19" screen takes up is kind of silly (at least on a laptop).

And, we are talking about apple here. Their M.O. is to release only a select few pieces of hardware, and make everyone like them. They are not a company that is looking to be all things to all people (or even most to most). They have the market that they want, and are sticking with it. If you want more options go HP or Dell or something (granted they aren't mac, but the hardware options are MUCH wider...

9. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

I have a feeling that price point is about right. At that point, you are a fool not to spend that money on a Mac Pro that will blow any laptop out of the water. Never-mind portability when you can get a beast like that. Plus, if you/your company has $3000+ to spend on ONE computer, they can likely afford a MP plus a MBP for portability. If you really need that big of screen/specs, you are probably doing video-something in which case editing in the field is not really a must...

10. timestoby macrumors 6502

come on now,this is just a stupid question.as the other guy said after 17' its really not a portable.i dont think a 17' is really that portable but there you go. lol

11. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

Not likely.

But I would buy one if it exists. I seriously don't care about it being portable at all. I just want a desktop replacement. I only move my laptop probably less than once a week. All I need is a very very powerful laptop with Mac OS X on it and it seems like MBP 17" is the best fit. I'm really disappointed that Apple went for portability rather than performance.

12. AppleWorking thread starter macrumors regular

The only reason I wanted to know is because all of the “other” manufacturers are following suit...

Sony VAIO AW Series 18.4"

Toshiba Qosmio G55: 18.4" 16:9 Notebook PCQuad Core

Acer Announces 18.4-Inch Quad-core Notebook with Blu-ray

HP HDX18t 18.4-inch

I would think Apple sets its pace with Intel’s roadmap and the arrival of a quad-core with larger screen real estate doesn't sound out of the question...

I'm probably wrong, though, because you guys and gals give some really good arguments to the contrary. I appreciate all of the help and feedback. This is my first time here you folks are really helpful compared to other forums. Thanks again!

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no, it would interfere with the iMac's market too much.

14. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I don't think they will release an 18 or 19" notebook. The way apple has been going lately they are more concerned with size and weight then technical prowess. Examples of this would be the iMac which uses Laptop Dual Core CPU's even though Desktop Dual and Quads have been available since 2006.

Same can be said of their notebook range which have been getting slimmer and slimmer with every iteration.

What I think is more likely is them offering a very low-clocked, low-voltage Quad Core on the current 17" model in perhaps a year from now.

When they introduced the 17" Notebook people did want a system above the 15" they wanted desktop-class resolutions on a Notebook. And they have that now. The current 17" ships with the same resolution as a 24" Apple Cinema Display (1920x1200). If they were to build an 18 or 19" Notebook they would have to use the same display resolution as no one makes one higher then that for Notebooks within that form-factor. So for these reasons and more I will say that No Apple will not release an 18 or 19" Notebook.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In case you haven't noticed, "following suit" isn't exactly Apple's corporate philosophy! If it was, we'd all be running Windows! :rolleyes:

16. Ploki macrumors 68000

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

18. Dreamail macrumors 6502

No Mobile Desktop

Unfortunately Apple is not in the mobile desktop / mobile workstation business.

These computers typically use low-power desktop CPUs and often feature room for two 2.5" harddisks, a lot of RAM, bigger screens and a host of ports and connections - all at the price of very limited battery life.

This is a very small market niche in the Windows world, yet it has its customers.
    Apple always felt that offering a product for such a small niche is not warranted. Which is a shame, as there are customers, like you, who would buy it.

But seeing that Apple really focusses more and more on high-value consumer machines, seemingly neglecting 'Pro' customers more and more, I would assume it is not very likely a mobile desktop product will appear any time soon.

However, as far as I remember Apple was the first notebook manufacturer who offered a 17" notebook, so they could be the first to offer a 19" notebook.
    And with Apple's market share rising, there will be a point - at some point - where enough interest warrants introduction of a mobile workstation machine.

Yet Apple values battery life a lot.
    So your best bet for a mobile workstation from Apple would be when mobile (i.e. very low power) Nehalem quad-core CPUs are introduced. Not before September-December this year. Assuming Intel doesn't run into problems.
    Apple might use those new CPUs to create a new type of machine - if it finds in its heart to re-focus on Pro users again.

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Exactly. Features does not equal usability.

17" MBP already comes with 1920x1200 display.

MBP is a mobile desktop. Note that third parties offer kits to remove optical drive and place another HD in its place.

20. Dreamail macrumors 6502

I guess then you need a 'mobile workstation' in order to get the really high-end features. Such as a very large screen.

To me the high-end features of a 'mobile workstation' include 18+" LCDs, quad-core CPU, up to 16GB of RAM and two internal HDs in a RAID setup, plus (not instead) a DVD burner or even BluRay drive.

IMHO the 17" MBP is a high-end laptop, but not a high-end mobile workstation. And the latter would be needed to have a chance at a model with 18.4" or 19" screen.

21. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Im gonna venture to say that the economy has nothing to do with it. I would think that it will never happen because that would be too friggn huge. U mite as well get an imac with a handle and power it with a car battery w an inverter:D but yah, makes more sense for a mbp with a screen, or a mac pro if your never gonna take it anywhere much

22. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

not yet!

23. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

bring it on. i'd buy it in a heart-beat.

19 or 20" no problem for me. You think its too big, heck, look at the size of a traditional brief case. I'd be no bigger and thinner. There is a market for it and they can put a numeric keypad. Chuck in a larger longer life fixed batt. But dual SSD drives, FW800, 4G, built-in tv tuner, the works, blue-ray, hdmi port, 16-32GB RAM, and bring back the silver keys, and thin silver bezel

anything is possible.

24. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

25. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Obviously you're not in the target market.

People in the segment would still have the option to pair it up with a larger 2nd display for a dual monitor setup. Making the portable screen closer in size to the larger screen providing more screen real estate