Will a MacBook Pro have enough power for animation?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Simplesimon101, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Simplesimon101 macrumors regular

Hello.

I'm after a bit of advice.

I am a Graphic Designer / Animator and I have a Mac Pro (Early 2008, 2.8 Octo Core, 6Gb Ram, 1.5 Tb HD) which is great for my current needs. However my circumstances are soon changing and I was wondering if I should change my set up.

Anyway, these are my circumstances... I've been lucky enough to have been accepted on a great animation MA for the next two years (from this october). The thing is when I become a student again I think I'd really appreciate the portability of a laptop - so I was wondering about selling the Mac Pro and using the money to buy a MacBook Pro.

I use and will be using Photoshop, After Effects and Maya quite regularly so would I notice much of a speed drop moving to a macbook pro? I figured I could use the universities render farms for really big jobs anyway. Do you think there's any thing else I should consider before I make the change? (I guess I'd need to buy a decent external HD too)

I think I'd probably go for a 15" will there be much difference between the i5s and i7? Is it worth spending the extra and maxing out on specs? or will I not really notice the difference? What would you go for if you where in my situation?

Thanks a lot in advance for any answers :)

2. Emoo macrumors regular

Haha, I have this same question...except that I'm going to be an undergrad at the A&M Viz Lab. Most folks will probably tell you that for serious work you definitely need at least access to a desktop or the renderfarms, but I'm of the opinion if you're not doing crazy intense work on it, the laptop would be okay. Besides, the university will have awesome computers to do all the hardcore stuff.

Good luck with your question. XD