Will A Macbook Suit My Needs?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by t0x, Sep 30, 2008.

1. t0x macrumors newbie

I've never owned any Apple hardware before and I'm interested in buying either a Macbook or Macbook Pro. I'm wondering if the Macbook would be able to handle some things:

1. Image manipulation and drawing with a Wacom tablet. Right now I use Photoshop CS2 to do these things, but I dislike Adobe and hoped maybe Mac alternatives like Pixelmator might be suitable.

2. Light gaming. I mostly play arcade ROMs (MAME) and some oldschool PC games (Max Payne 1 and 2, Warning Forever, etc). Can the Macbook's X3100 integrated GPU handle this?

3. Running some Windows apps in OS X via VMWare Fusion. It's my understanding that VMWare Fusion can run apps directly from a Windows BootCamp partition. There are a few light apps I'd like to run every once in a while like this (Foobar2000, for example). No games.

4. Music composition using Renoise with VSTs and AUs.

5. Light video editing. I don't edit HD video. Nothing major.

That's pretty much it, aside from the normal web surfing, watching movies and listening to music.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

2. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

Wait till the 14th of october for the new ones, then when they come out, buy the highest or midrange macbook. Should be fine for those needs.

EDIT: Bump the RAM to 4gb yourself, apple is way too expensive

3. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Yes, it'll run fine on the current MacBooks.

Very iffy on this; I'd personally say no, even with the older games. Though Jedi Academy, also an older game, runs fine. It's based on the Quake 3 engine I believe, so use that as a frame of reference.

Absolutely. It'll be great for that, but be sure to max your RAM.

Definitely. I'll be running either Reaper or Logic Express 8 when I get the new MacBook (when and if it comes out). You should be able to handle quite a few virtual instruments, but again; max out the RAM. Depending on whether the AU is hard disk streaming or not effects the RAM heavily. AU effects like reverb are generally more CPU-intensive, of which the 2.4Ghz C2D is great.

Fine for that too.

I echo Macbooker15; if you can wait until Oct. 14th when (supposedly) the new ones will show up, do so. If they upgrade to Montevina it would benefit all of the above, besides a prettier case :D

4. t0x thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your advice, polaris20.

I'll indeed be waiting for the new hardware being released on October 14th. I'll be sure to pick up 2x2GB RAM sticks from Crucial as well.

As for gaming, I would guess that the X3100 can handle MAME roms, right? The few PC games I play are either lightweight indie games (lots of Japanese shmups) or old (nothing newer than around 2003). I guess I can see how the X3100 fares here.

Maybe the new Macbooks will come with new integrated graphics? The X4500HD, maybe?

The Macbook Pro really is too expensive for my current budget, especially when the only things it has over the Macbook are a dedicated GPU and bigger LED backlit display. The new Macbooks will probably be cased in aluminum like the current Pros.

I guess I'll just have to wait till the 14th and see what happens.

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

MacBooks are fine for light gaming. I use mine for Guitar Hero 3 and Call of Duty 4. Of course, not the highest graphics settings, but it will handle them and play them decently.

6. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with MAME. I can tell you it'll work fine for the old game console ROMs though, from what I've heard ;)

Even if they don't go with an nVidia IGP on the new MB, it'll still be an upgraded Intel IGP, which for the Montevina is the X4500.

7. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

GHIII? How are the graphics on that?

Never mind, I only have a GMA950 anyways, but as a frame of reference I can play Rise of Nations very well...just with 6200 rpms of fan blazing:D also a little lag when games have more than 500 units.

8. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I'm hoping and praying for an nVidia IGP in the next one, because even though I'm not a heavy gamer, it'd be cool to every once and awhile. Nevertheless, I'm not holding my breath. :D

9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Not bad actually, in order to get it to run though takes a quick Google though.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

A MB will be perfect for those needs, even at today's specs.

11. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

hows Cod4 working out for you? I play obsessively on my 360 and I may have to check out the mac version.