Will a MacMini work for me?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Sal Collaziano, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Sal Collaziano macrumors regular

In November, I replaced my HP notebook with a MacBook Pro - switching from Windows to OS X. I'm so happy with the switch that I'd like to replace my Dell desktop now..

I'll need Parallels running in Coherence mode to operate Novell Groupwise, Flashpaper2 and maybe a few other minor things.

I'll mainly be using Dreamweaver and Photoshop (VERY light Photoshop work - just image editing).. But anyway - even that with Parallels running - is it too much for a MacMini to handle?

The mac pro is overkill as my MacBook Pro does everything I need. If FlashPaper2 was available for the Mac, I wouldn't need Windows at all.

2. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Why can't you use your MBP to do everything? and just buy a good external HD and a nice monitor.

3. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

It will work. Whether or not you are pleased with the performance you'll get only you can answer.

If your MBP only has 2gig RAM and you're able to do everything on it to your satisfaction, then the mini will be perfect for you. If you're maxed to 4gig RAM on your MBP then the mini might be an issue. But you'll probably be fine with it.

4. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

I actually do have an external hard drive for my MBP, but I'm using it for backups at the moment. I also have a nice 20 inch Dell monitor that I can use with either a MacBook or MacMini.. BUT.. I need Macromedia FlashPaper2 and Novell Groupwise - which I can only get working in Windows...

5. dbam987 macrumors regular

The only limiting factor on the Mac Mini is the 2 GB memory. Running Windows using Parallels will require about 512 MB of memory, plus the 512MB-1GB memory OSX needs to do its things, and the rest for everything Photoshop and Dreamweaver.

As irishgrizzly mentioned, you could just use the MBP and get a very nice Apple Cinema Display for the price of a Mac Mini.

6. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I have 4gigs of RAM on the MBP. I guess that's what has me concerned...

Hmm.. Sounds like the 2gigs on the MacMini is cutting it REALLY close.. Maybe I should just hold off for now and wait on the possibility of a 4gb MacMini to make the move...

I have to tell ya.. After a few months experience on the Mac, I'm very anxious to leave Windows for good...

7. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Max it out to the 3 gig or 3.3 gig if you think .3 gig will make a difference. ;)

I'd bet you'd be happy with it.*

*Advice on the internet should always be taken with a huge dose of "God knows if these people know anything" reality. ;)

I'm same as you. After 1 month with my new MBP I had 2 mini's and only 1 pc left. It'll be gone by end of the month.

Unfortunately, I haven't installed photoshop on the mini's yet to help you there. parallels runs just fine for word processing / dreamweaver, but I haven't run it with photoshop at the same time.

8. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

A MacMini can have more than 2gigs of memory?

9. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Yes, you can put 2gig chips in it but it can only address 3.3 gig of them. A 2gig and a 1gig chip is the most economic "max" solution.

MR Guide to Understanding Intel Mac RAM

10. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm.. I didn't know that... I didn't even know that you can open the thing up. Is there a how-to somewhere? I added two 2 gig memory chips from Crucial to my MBP. I wouldn't mind doing the same with a MacMini..

11. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

There are guides out there with videos and the whole nine yards. It ain't pretty, but it's not all that difficult either.

12. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

Well I think I'm gonna go and splurge on a MacMini today. :p

Thank you! :D

13. dbam987 macrumors regular

There is a "how-to" and a quick Google lookup brought this up: http://www.methodshop.net/gadgets/tutorials/macmini-ram/

Enjoy the Mac Mini!

I wanna get mine ASAP... but need to sell off my desktop first :(

14. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

15. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Err. I think you should get an external monitor for your mbp.

16. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

I do have one. I'm using a 20" Dell flatscreen..

17. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

I run photoshop and imageready on my 2nd gen MacMini (see sig.) As long as I'm not messing around with images of resolutions greater then 3000x3000ish, it's fine. After you get above that it still works, just a bit more sluggish.

18. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Get a 24inch, and you'll be good.

19. gotzero macrumors 68040

Load it up with RAM and you should be fine.

I have a MBP and a mini, and I love the combination. There are a lot of times it is nice to have two systems. It is not efficient, but I do understand the attraction.

20. Randy Hall macrumors newbie

Buy the Mac mini

I've been a Mac user since 1990. MY last two macs were the 14" iBook, and the original iMac. Both of these computers have the monitor built into the computer. The monitor on both computers failed twice. The first time fixed on warrenty, the second time not covered by warrenty and outragiously expensive ($1000 to fix the iBook). After these failures I (tho' a real mac fan) couldn't get myself to buy another mac with a built in monitor. I bought the mini mac and spent $250 on a 22" monitor.

I still have 3 older macs, 1990 IISi, 1994 Quadra 800 and a clone, Starmax 300/180. All of these still run without issues, other that old age. I'm not so pleased with the quality of the current macs.