will a MB last me 5 years?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by x Shadow Dragon, Jun 9, 2007.

1. x Shadow Dragon macrumors regular

topic says it all, i probably wont use it for gaming, but will it support most new Mac OS's?
    My uses will be:
    - iTunes
    - Web surfing
    - Mail
    - AIM/iChat
    - iMovie
    - Homework (Probably NeoOffice)
    - Very minimal gaming

So will it last 5 years?

EDIT- just so u know i make things last, the computer im on is from 2000, damn its slow

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Almost definitely. Lack of hardware T&L may restrict your gaming somewhat but apart from that everything else should hum along fine for the next 5 years.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I doubt it will be so great in 5 years...but unless something happens (hard drive failure etc.) you will still be able accomplish those tasks - but will likely be a bit jealous of those running the new features on the programs you run (imagine having to run iTunes 3)

4. x Shadow Dragon thread starter macrumors regular

i doubt it, im running on a comp from 2000 right now :)

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I don't think it will. It would be like using a 600MHz 12" iBook G3 with 128MB RAM and a 20GB hard drive right now.

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I dunno, seems like stuff is moving along faster now. I can't imagine having a computer for more than a few years without getting a new one let alone 5 years.

but that said, my 7 year old iMac G3 does everything you list except iMovie and can still play Starcraft ;) so maybe it could.

7. bohrsatom macrumors member

Looking into my crystal ball I couldn't tell you whether you'd get 5 years out of a MB bought today, but it's likely you will be OK.

If what you want to use your computer for stays the same for the next 5 years then you won't have a problem, although if you think back 5 years and how things have changed then it's possible you will want to use your computer for different, more advanced things in the future.

The good thing is that Apple kit has a good resale value and so you can do well selling it in the future, and spending the difference on an upgrade.

bohrsatom

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

A desktop I guess? Because laptops age quicker...

9. TimJim macrumors 6502a

well, if you just use it for 5 years, it may not work, but if you buy a new battery, upgrade RAM, etc. it should

10. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

My biological psychology prof used a TiBook (circa 2001) with great success. I talked to her at the beginning of term about her computer, and she said she loves it, and it does everything she needs it to do. She even commented that she prefers the TiBook design to the new PB/MBP design.

I'd say you're good for 5 years, so long as your hard drive holds out.

11. x Shadow Dragon thread starter macrumors regular

true true, still my dad used to do some hardcore stuff on here until like a year ago when he gave it to me.

12. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

It will work, but once you try a newer machine, you'll feel how slow the macbook really "will" be. If you like tech stuff and care about having the latest and greatest...it won't last five years. But the machine you're working on now "works", but from what I gather it's not a "pleasant" computing experience. I say it takes three years for a computer to truly be "outdated", but that's subjective.

13. x Shadow Dragon thread starter macrumors regular

okwell how much do u think it will sell for in three years?

14. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

5 year old iBooks get ~$300, I guess you could base guesses around that. BUT, if massive changes come (3D, touch etc.) the price you get for old technology will be less...

15. x Shadow Dragon thread starter macrumors regular

i think i said 3 years but, 300$ would be a hunk of cash in my pocket for my next mac so it would be ok.

16. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

For the basic needs yes, but your needs may change over time. It will last you a good 3-4 years if you upgrade the RAM and whatnot.

17. Jimmieboy macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

Will it last five years? Yeah, I'd be surprised if it didn't. As already mentioned, the hard drive is probably the likely component thats going to fail. I expect my computer to last another 3 years (making it a total of 5). It's probably not going to be able to do what I want it to do though. I do like to run the latest operating system so that's going to be what gets me. Also, keep in mind that support's going to be limited for your computer when it's 5 years old. You won't be covered by apple care and software updates won't be coming out as often. Of course, in saying that you could upgrade your OS.

18. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

Yes, but you'll want a newer model after one year. :)

19. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

your computer will never slow down. it's just going to take longer to do harder tasks.

20. Lara F macrumors 6502a

I'm sure it would - to put it in pespective, I've got a *PC* Celeron 1.33GHz with 256MB Ram from 2002 (which wasn't top of the line at the time) that still works as far as using the internet and playing videos. Now do I like it? Not too much as it is pretty slow...but there's no question it's very much usable. And I can only imagine that a MacBook with OSX would hold its own better over the same timeframe.

21. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

I don't game and use my comp for mainly email/photos/video/word processing

and my main home computer is a
    Pentium 3 1ghz
    128mb RAM
    60 HDD
    and i see no real plans to upgrade it anytime soon since XP runs just fine on it and it does everything i need it to

my laptop is a 12inch 1.5ghz pb and i plan to keep it till 2009-2010 so that will be just a little under 5 years...

i find technology to be very cool and unique, but there is nothing increasingly unique about the new computers imo to make me want to switch besides speed (but it's fast enough for me for what i do), and until something extremly innovative comes out i don't see me getting a new computer until my projected 2009-2010 timetable...

I hope whatever OS comes out after lepord is supported for my computer, cause if not, that may make a heavy choice on upgrading as well :)

22. Illicit macrumors 6502

are you speaking from experience?
    I'm running a PowerBook G4 667 MHz, 768 Ram, 30 GB HD, 15" widescreen, and I can perform all of those listed tasks with essentially no problems.
    itunes, web browsers, word processing, etc. rarely use more than 10% of my cpu and less than 30 mb of ram, doing the most intensive of tasks you could do on those apps.
    I think a MB will easily last you 5 years if taken care of.

23. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I was giving an example, as the computer I stated was released about 5 years ago. I could barely stand to use my 1.33GHz iBook G4 when I had it, it seemed so slow, and now my MacBook Pro is seeming slow as I get the money together for me to buy the new one. No computer could last me 2 years, let alone 5 years.

24. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

The reality is, if you're using a computer that's 5 years old you're probably hurting yourself more than anything else. I'd say plan to replace any computer you buy in 3.5 years or less if you wish to maintain a good computing experience.

25. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think that if what you purchase today gives you acceptable performance then it will give you acceptable performance 5 years from now doing the same activities.

Personally, my PowerBook 15 still works fine for me and runs the latest version of Tiger. It's about 3.5 years old now. I expect it to last me a couple of more years...at least.

As some have said, technology seems to be moving faster these days. So will you be able to run the latest and greatest, probably not. But can you run what you wanted when you purchased the computer. Sure.

If you wonder about the viability of older computers, all you need to do is go to eBay and see how much older hardware is selling for, both PC and Mac. Obviously, there are folks out there who still use the older technology because it meets their needs.