Will a MBP good for a CS student joining college this year.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by niksynik7, Jun 25, 2009.

1. niksynik7 macrumors newbie

I am gonna join CS engineering this year.
    I wanna know if MBP will satisfy my needs .
    I dont know what kind of a computer is required by a CS student.
    Pls Guide me.
    And also, will a windows laptop be better than me.
    If you suggest a MBP , then which one should I buy.(I will only go till 2.53ghz MBP-13 or 15 - suggest)
    If I want to run windows(through Bootcamp) , will it run perfectly as it runs on WIN laptop ie. everything will work from keyboard to isight(with msn), backlight ,trackpad,9400m.etc.
    Thanks

2. niksynik7 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Please don't bump threads. ;)

Computer Science and Computer Engineering are generally two different majors, and the former can be done with even just a MacBook, but engineering might require a dedicated GPU (depending on your track).

Why wouldn't everything work?

4. niksynik7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You for your reply
    I will be pursuing Computer Science. Will a macbook be ok?
    Pls answer other questions I have asked above.

5. Jamesthatcher macrumors member

I 'm sure any macbook will "satisfy" your needs.
    Will you be using any intensive applications? If so i would suggest a 2.53 pro with 4 gigs of ram, and if your going to be playing games, or 3d rendering look at possibly getting the more powerful graphics card.

Bootcamp, i 've been told runs seemlessly, and in some cases faster than a PC. I don't have bootcamp however.

6. niksynik7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, actually i am not that awarfe what kinds of programs i will run,a CS student can help me, and no one i wont be playing very powerful games regularly but sumtimes very occasionally.

7. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Interesting question as it has been asked since I first came here, how nothing changes. The hardware is amazing at the moment and will be fine for anything you do.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

All you need is a 1 GHz processor with 512 MB of RAM running some bare-bones Linux distro. Anything from the mac line is going to be overkill, so just get the white Macbook.

9. niksynik7 thread starter macrumors newbie

no, i am not even thinking about the white macbook in front of the uMBP.
    The design is just awesome.

10. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Yea any of the current Macbook Pros should be able to handle anything your Computer Science classes require. You'll probably have to boot camp into Windows for software like Visual Studio etc. though.

Windows in Bootcamp works well, but some say the drivers are kinda wonky (the backlight keyboard kinda just stays lit or off, no auto-sensing the ambient light). The trackpad some say in Windows also acts weird. No big deal if you use an external mouse though.

For size, depends if you value portability or screen-size more. If you carry your laptop daily with you to class/student union (to do HW/projects) maybe a 13" would be easier to carry for you and when you get back to your dorm just plug it into an external monitor for "desktop mode". The 13" is limited to a nVidia 9400m graphics though, so if you play any intense games occasionally that may suffer. If you don't move the laptop a lot you can think about the 15" MBP for a bigger screen, and better graphics card (only the $1999+ models have the 9600GT, however). The weight difference is like 1lb (4.5lb vs 5.5lbs) but also have to take into consideration the laptop's dimensions taking up space in your bag.

11. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I see these questions all the time and wonder why a student planning to go to "x" university would want uninformed opinions from random strangers instead of going to "x" university and asking current students what they use and current teachers what they recommend.

It's just like the people who call radio shows for medical advice instead of seeing a doctor in person.

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Because for the sciences, the curriculum doesn't differ significantly from institution to institution. "x" university might not be close enough, and since it's summer there won't be many people around anyway.