Will a Mini OK for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JAWWC, Sep 16, 2008.

1. JAWWC macrumors regular

I am thinking of buying a Mac Mini in the next couple of days as I have just sold my PC Laptop. I know I'm buying a Mac and this is really all I can afford as I have a screen, mouse, keyboard.
    All I will be using it for is general web browsing, word processing, the odd bit of Adobe CS2 work, and using MTR and Handbrake to encode DVD for my Apple TV.

Will a 1.83 GHz with 2GB of RAM do the job smoothly?

Thanks

2. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

The mini would be perfectly adequate for that and more. I used a 1.6 core duo for a torrent box, itunes server, and dvd ripper/converter. It is truly a great little machine.

3. luckey-strike macrumors newbie

it is better to wait for an update i think....

because the mini has ''old'' hardware

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It will do the job smoothly. If you can, you might want to wait on the off chance of an upgrade in the near future.

5. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

That's exactly what I've been using (except with 2.5GB RAM) for the last few months (if not over a year?), and it's running great.

The only tips I would like to offer is:
    - upgrade the RAM yourself if you can (the process is a bit scary, don't do it if you're not used to open up computers, including laptops)
    - wait until mid-october if you can (the Mac mini hasn't been updated in over 400 days, Apple has to update or replace it soon, and there's rumors of across-the-board Mac updates in mid-october).